1996 ZXI 1100 hesitation/stalling

Serkit

Cadet
Hello, first post on new account (lost my old email).

Got a 1996 ZXI 1100 giving me nothing but headaches. Ski has less then 50 hours on the original motor. Ski looks brand new and is FAST.
All stock except for the impeller, GPSed at 57.2mph.

Reason for my post is i am having some hesitation/stalling issues. From a idle, 70% of the time when you slam the throttle the ski will just die, if the throttle is feathered it runs fine, gets right to top speed and GOES. There are times the ski will have a bad hesitation and not die when u pin the throttle (30%ish).

Air leak at carbs tested- Negative.
Carbs completely rebuilt with OEM Keihin parts, popoff pressure tested, new accel pump diaphragm. I have taken carbs off now 2 times adjusting the low speed adjustment and i just cant seem to get this thing running right.

Compression is perfect in all 3.
3 new plugs, wires shaved.
New OEM fuel filter.

Low speed adjustments-
1-1/8 turn the ski would not idle below 1500 rpm in the water without dying. (still had issue with hesitation/stalling)

1-1/3 ski idled at 1250 in water(what the manual claims it should be at) didnt seem to really sound like a smooth idle but idk. (stalling seemed to be worse, i could not get it to accel to full unless i feathered 100% of time).

When i raise the idle adjustment screw on the ski to around 2kRPM in the water (3500 RPM out of water) the ski has 0 hesitation or stalling problems. (which is almost double the idle the manual says to be at, ski does like 8mph at 2k so i cant be going down my canal like this haha).

What the hell is my problem?? Im stumped.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Maybe check the small jet again ? Or you have a leak in the fuel line drawing air maybe ? Sounds like you know your stuff. I’m sure you’ll figure it out.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
So, you basically have an antique that was never used. After 23 years the whole fuel system must be clogged up to beat the band. Someone once said that lack of use is worse than overuse. You have a fuel problem and a lot of parts to replace.

JMHO.