Sport jet 90 barnicle buster, salt away?

Steve1986

Cadet
Hello fellow boating enthusiast. I recently purchased a 1993 sea rayder with sport jet 90 in it. And i happen to have a gallon of barnicle buster laying around what is your guys take on circulating it thru the engine for a few hours. I only have the customer flush kit that goes by the thermostat but i can go to lowes or HD and get the fitting for the lower exhaust manifold. About the pressure of the circulating pump i can throttle it manualy after the pump. Any suggestions? Do i take the thermostat out? Is there any things i should be cautious about? Has it been done before?

tommarvin

Ensign
Are you having any problems?If not go have some fun on your new boat.
I wouldnt run an outboard out of the water longer than 10 minutes never above idle and never take your eyes of the water supply.wuffs, they fall off, we tie our muffs on three different points.
We take our thermostat out to clean every time we go in salt water, we can remove our stat in three minutes.Put it in hot water should open around 140F and close too.
Sounds like to much love go boating and dont worry about anithing something breaks. Have a life jacket for everybody.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Once again Mr. Tom - You give advice on something you know nothing about. Muffs aren't used on Jet drives. They don't fit because there is no place to tie muffs to and this is not an outboard.

Steve - Is the Sea Rayder moored in salt or trailered? If it's trailered, flushing is what needs to be done and Barnacle Buster is overkill cuz it probably doesn't have any barnacles to bust.

Steve1986

Cadet
LoL i like it !!! I meant static flush with an AUX ppump.And its a jet pump with 90 merc power head.I dont have any problems as far as cooling goes. Boat needs bilge pump wired, the lights redone i have them figured out ordered new switches fuses and little by little is coming together. But i went out the day i bought it . Ran fine in the no wake zone for about 30 minutes and the started stalling on me. Restarted fine. Then it kept on stalling all the way to the boat ramp once every 2-3 minutes. After i got home started the troubleshooting sure thing spark plugs were only hand tight and in terrible condition 1 had OL continuity on the electrode the other one was inconsistent only 1 was fine. Compression checked out fine 130psi thru all 3 cyl. Carbs are in good shape. Im convinced my problem was the spark plugs havent test launched it since then.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The stalling may be old gas. Not that loose plugs and bad plugs could cause any bad running. :rolleyes:

Steve1986

Cadet
I did add 5 gal of 91 50:1 mix not sure how much was in there. Gas gauge is not working (on to fix list) only 15 gal tank on the rayder.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
have you taken the boat out yet? I was never impressed with the searayders with the 90hp. they seam sluggish

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
Run it on a remote tank with fresh premix. Isolate the problem.

Steve1986

Cadet
I got around to inspect the fuel system more in depth found 2 of 3 vacuum passages on the carbs plugged, bunch of debris on the bottom of the fuel cup, deterioted fuel hose and chunks of plastic pieces also float needles stuck i ordered all new gaskets, plugs jets, hand priming pump new filter and hoses, soaked the carbs in acetone for 3 days and put air thru all passages to make sure they are free of obstruction waiting on parts to piece it together hopefully that fixes the problem