How much is my Ultra 150 worth?

USA_boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
2000 Ultra 150, very low hours, garaged (not sure exactly but prob-150-160, I'd have to check the meter)

Upgrades - aftermarket nozzle, ride plate, sponsans

super fast, but I have had it since '07 and barely ridden it; just got a bass boat and wife wants it gone so I'm trying to decide considering the hours, mods, cover, real nice trailer how much I should take for it regardless of book (which I've not even checked).

What say you guys?

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
It depends where you are located If you are in a colder climate, hold onto it until spring when people will be looking for it and will pay an in season premium.

Around here, upper midwest, that ski with trailer and cover might go for $2000 right now. In season $2500.

Just a couple of notes:

1) Mods are worth more to you than any buyer. People interested in modding want to do it themselves and measure performance gain. Don't expect a premium for that. If anything, it might reduce your potential buyers. More people are interested in stock skis. Of course, if you have the original parts, that would help.

2) How is your compression? Those old 2-strokes could last 150 hours before a top end needs to be re-built, could last 400 hours. Compression numbers will tell you how close you are to needing it re-built.

3) The fact that it was barely ridden in 11 years isn't necessarily a positive. Anything with an engine likes to be used. If it sits too long, gremlins show up.

This summer, I just bought an 2001 1100 zxi, 120 hours, 130 compression in all 3 cylinders, mint condition with 2 place trailer and cover for $2200 in season. And the guy threw in a 1997 Sea Doo GSX for $300 because it wasn't running and shared the trailer. $2500 for the package. (Side Note: $100 and 6 hours later, Sea Doo is running perfect and I actually like it more than the Kawasaki, which surprised me)

EDIT: Just out of curiosity, I checked NADA for my zip code. $2000-$2300 is what it came in at.

USA_boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks, I've also had a couple ZXi's myself, one with mods would GPS 66 with me on it @ 250lbs LOL

As far as the mods go, Having owned a few skis, some stock I modded and some I bought modded but knew what I was getting, I think a potential Ultra buyer would respect what has been done. I do have the stock parts except the sponsans; the ski was modded when I got it and also included a Solas impeller which I forgot to mention. I actually swapped the stock intake grate back onto the ski after I bought it. I generally agree with your assessment of the mods because not all buyers know; but one of my ZXi's and this Ultra I was well aware of what I was getting when I bought them. But I decided NOT to do any mods to the motor on this ski so I can still say it is stock and the hull mods can easily be reversed if desired. I have checked the compression on this ski but it has been years (but not many running hours) ago. They were even is all I recall. I've been very vigilant with my skis as far as letting anyone abuse them or ride them much. I was also thinking I could get 2500 and was weighing whether to list and see or wait until spring. I hate to see it go, they are one of a kind and the last of a dying breed but I'm getting too old to get beatup on rough water and I now own 2 boats (3 if u count the 2-man) so it's time to let it go.

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
If you have the patience and time, the right buyer for that one will come along and pay $2500 for it no problem. I personally love the power curve of the old 2 stroke skis and they are very easy to work on compared to the new ones. That particular Ultra is not for the faint of heart and the right buyer will definitely appreciate it. It is definitely built for racing, not cruising. It is a great ride and a lot of fun for an experienced rider, but will toss a newbie on the first turn if they are trying it after riding one of the new skis that are out today.

USA_boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
I agree with everything you said...my old ZXi that was faster than the Ultra 0-60 unfortunately went to a girl who never owned a JetSki. I made her a document explaining all mods so she'd have it if she ever sold it. I warned her it was not a good entry level craft but she gave me 3500.00 for it in 2008 and it was a '96. She took it out with some family ONE TIME and then called me wanting to sell it back...it was too quick for them. I tried to explain it all and she still chose to buy it LOL. This Ultra is "better" in that regard due to being larger and heavier and more stable than the ZXi 1100 but the speed and handling isn't for a novice unless they loaf like my wife does when she'd ridden it.