1997 Sea Doo GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking62

Seaman Apprentice
Hi All. Hoping I can get some help with my Sea Doo. Was running great and suddenly died while my daughter was riding it. She said it just suddenly stopped like the lanyard had come out. Couldn’t get it started again.
I’ve been running premium fuel with sea foam added.
It turns over fine, has spark (plugs are new)and will start if I spray gas in the cylinder.
I figured a fuel delivery problem. I have taken the carbs apart and cleaned, bought a carb kit and rebuilt fuel pump, replaced fuel lines, checked filters, emptied and cleaned fuel tank, by-passed fuel selector switch and straight to carb from tank and am pretty confident no leaks in fuel lines.
I have not done a compression test. Was told by previous owner that it was 120 and 130. If this is the case would that be acceptable.

Any thoughts or ideas on what to check or try?

Viking62

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks. That was what I thought. Fuel pump is in carb so fuel lines from tank to carb are in a negative pressure. I got to where I thought it had to be air getting in. I disconnected the line at the tank and put a compound gage on it then turned the engine over. Fuel pump pulls and holds a vacuum of about 2”.
Is a weak spark a possibility?

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
Do you still have the gray fuel lines in there? If so, those need to go. There is a chemical reaction with ethanol, those fuel lines, and brass. Green slime forms, then hardens, and it will cause continuous problems until they are changed out. A complete carb clean and rebuild is required, specifically the filters in the carbs. You have 2 carbs in there, the fuel pump is on the magneto side, no fuel pump on the PTO side. Buy Mikuni OEM rebuild kits only. There are known issues with aftermarket sizes that don't create a perfect seal.

I just did my 97 GTX, took about 6 hours total for everything, and I was taking my time. It runs like new right now. PM me if you need help, part numbers, or advice on re-build kits (FYI, you won't find the '40' kit for your carb there is a combo 38/44 kit you buy that has all the parts you need except for the pop off spring, which you can re-use the factory one).

Viking62

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the replies.
I cleaned and rebiult the carbs with mikuna carb kit. Also all the grey fuel lines are have been replaced. Honestly though i didnt find anything plugged up.
i find it odd that it suddenly went from running great to not running at all.
I'm sure there is fuel to the carbs just dont know whats happening from there. Thought for sure after everything else it had to be air getting in to the fuel line but am now pretty confident I've ruled that out.

wahlejim

The compression numbers you listed are acceptable, brand new or after a top end re-build, they would be 145-150, A little concerned at the variance but it is within range.
I would go through the carbs again, specifically, the 3 tiny idle holes. It took me awhile to get those cleared. Also check the 2 check valves in the carb. If those are reversed, no fuel will get through.

wahlejim

Have you ruled out the canister filter in the front hatch?

Viking62

Seaman Apprentice
For test purposes I ran a new line from the tank to the carb. So by passed everything including the cannister filter.
i think your right about going through the carbs again. I was pretty focused on the fuel pump and could very likely have missed something.
i have them out and on the bench anyway.
will post what i find.
thanks again. I appreciate the help.

Viking62

Seaman Apprentice
I took the carbs apart again, cleaned them and made sure everything was good. Didn’t feel like I found anything. They seemed clean. I have not had time to put them back in yet. Hopefully tomorrow. Will update then.
Thanks, Mike

wahlejim

One of these is your idle. Remove the jets, clean them. Wedge your straw from your carb cleaner into these holes and clear them. One of them leads to 3 very small holes in the throat of your carb. Make sure you get 3 streams coming through.

Viking62

Seaman Apprentice
Finally got it back together. Put fresh premium fuel in it. Still no go. Killed the battery turning it over. I can see fuel in the filter but that’s it. Not even trying to fire.
don’t know where to go from here. Maybe I should take it to a shop.

Viking62

Seaman Apprentice
I didnt check spark today. I did check it before and it was there. Is it possible spark is weak? If so how would i know.
I'm still stumped at how it goes from running well one minute to not running at all the next.

alldodge

Staff member
Use a spark gap gauge
Don't know about your year, but my 2000 and current 07 will not start unless I get 2 beeps before cranking. If I get only 1 then the key is removed and reconnected

wahlejim

Check your battery as well, it needs to maintain 10.5v while cranking to generate spark

Viking62

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks again. I didnt do anything with it today. Im going to charge battery overnight and try again tomorrow.
AllDodge- same with the 97. 2 beeps when when lanyard is plugged in means its good to go otherwise it wont even turnover. I will verify spark plug gap.
battery is new this year so should be good but will check voltage while cranking

Viking62

Seaman Apprentice
Apologies for lack of update. I have not had time to look at again. Battery is sitting on bench waiting to go back in.
i am going to gap the plugs and try again. Failing that i will probably take it to a shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.