97 SeaDoo Explorer Runs great for about 20 Minutes...then it cuts out or bogs down

DMAL

Seaman Apprentice
Hi everybody,

I will do my best to describe the symptoms. As the title suggests the Explorer ran great for about 20 minutes or so...then all it would do is cut out as it was starting to plane out. It does not usually die, but it would idle rough. The first thing I did was change plugs and it ran fine for about 20 minutes again. It started to cut out again so we parked for about an hour. It ran fine for about 20 minutes again...I put another set of new plugs in and it ran good for about 5 minutes. I checked the water separator filter. I found two things...it had some water in it, and I heard a sucking sound for a couple of seconds after I removed the separator. I then took it for a ride with the gas cap loose, but the issue was still there after a short ride. The check valve inlet vent was plugged, I cleaned it and got it working again. I took it for another 20 minute ride and it started cutting out again. I had a long slow ride home up stream and against the wind...It would not go much over idle speed. I tried to choke it while it was running bad, and it would die right away. Two things that I noticed on my ride home. The front cylinder is not as strong as the rear cylinder when I pull the plug wires, and there is a significant water leak between the exhaust manifold and the pipe(there is a stripped bolt that needs a helicoil) I am not sure if those two problems are related. I suspect it will run fine for about 20 minutes tomorrow.

I hope someone can point me in the right direction, thanks

Brien S

Seaman
What do the plugs look like ?
Sounds typical of needing a good carb rebuild. Sounds like the inlet screen might be partially restricted.