PWC newbie question, looking for opinions

Happy Summer boating family! So far its been hot as balls and relatively rain free here in MI, spent a ton of time out on the water which is always good :)
So earlier this summer I picked up an 89 Kawasaki 650 TS kinda on an impulse (We live on water but have always been more boat/pontoon people) Anyways I'm hooked! Love this little ski for what it is, but it leaves you wanting more.

My plan is too keep an eye open for something broken to work on over the winter to add to the fleet and my question is what do you guys feel would be the best boats to keep an eye out for? I'm looking for something that would have good part availability, fairly simple to work on, and can drag my big ass around. I realize this would all be personal opinion but I appreciate any insight you guys have!!!
Side note I'm cheap and the wife says I can't have any more expensive "projects" unless I get rid of some... Which I'm not doing, so cost is a factor this time around.

Thanks in advance guys

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
1997 - 2000 Sea Doo's with the 787 engine. In my neck of the woods (halfway between Milwaukee and Chicago) I can find 'broken' ones all day. Keep an eye out for ones that don't run. Do a compression test and if it comes back in the 140-150 per cylinder range, pick it up.

In this year range, Sea Doo used gray 'Tempo' fuel lines. They don't play well together with ethanol and brass (which is what most of the fittings are). They develop this green goup that plugs up the carbs.

I saw one go for $1000 on CL and I picked one up for $800 with trailer. My 97 GSX is in great condition, no tears in the seats, gauges work. I spent $150 on fuel line, 2 carb rebuild kits (they are dual mikuni carbs, really easy to work on), gray hose clamps, and pop off gauge for the carb. Replaced fuel lines, cleaned all fittings, rebuit carbs, and changed jet pump oil.

With tax, registration, repairs, etc. I have spent less than $1100 on this thing and it is running like a top! GPS speed just shy of 60. Plenty of aftermarket parts to get it well over 60 if you want to go that far. The whole process took me 6 hours spread out over 2 days (I let the carbs soak overnight)

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
One other note: I can't emphasize enough how important the compression test is. These 2 strokes are known to need a top end re-build around +-150 hours. The compression test will tell you how close you are to needing that. Also, this green crud causes a lean condition in the motor. If detonation occurred, the motor is junk. The compression test will tell you this as well.

One tell tale sign that you are onto a good ski is that the owner will tell you it runs fine out of water but won't start in water. That is a classic symptom of the Tempo issue.

As far as moving large human beings, I am 6'3 235 if that helps you gauge the power of this thing.