1999 F-16xr adjustment

81merc

Seaman Apprentice
Does anyone have a guide on adjusting the throttle / shifting cable set-up on this boat / pump?

Right now when you start the motor up in "neutral" it has a pretty good forward thrust and the diversion gate moves up and down pretty loose. I think the gates hanging a little low but free enough that when the motor idles instead of holding in place where it should the trust pushes it up and out of the way so the boat starts to push forward. It also seems to be a little hard starting when cold, again I think this is because the engine has a electric choke that is disabled when the throttle is advanced, since the cables loose I think the throttle is not sitting in the right spot and the elec choke is being disabled.

I'd like to start with making sure all the cabling is adjusted right and tightened up before I tear anything else apart looking for other problems.

81merc

Seaman Apprentice
Good info, in the installation section it talks about adjusting the reverse gate. It doesn't really say if there should or should not be any play in the reverse gate. It does say do not "pre-load" the shift cable. I'm not sure I'm following what the mean be pre-load it though.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Pre-load means the cable would have no slack, in other words, snug but the cable has the slightest bit of play.

It sounds like your cable is too loose allowing the gate to move and in turn, move the boat.