New Toy SeaRay F16 XR

81merc

Seaman Apprentice
Hi All,

Got a new toy over the weekend. A 1999 SeaRay F16 XR jet boat. I took it for a short test ride and it ran great. Quick push from idle to near full throttle had no bogging down, quick push from near full throttle to idle, no stalling or sputtering. did it cold and warmed up both, no issues. It drove smooth and responded well turning (it will take a bit to get used to a 1/2 turn of the wheel and BAM you're going the other way.... Boat and hull are over all seem in great shape seems to need very little, just some clean up and a new name decal.

there was a couple odd things during testing I'd like to get some input on
1) When starting I would hit the start button and it would either be a quick start, or if it didn't start it didn't really roll over. just "chug" then stopped. let go of button, press again and either start or "chug" and let go over button again. I'm thinking / hoping just a low battery, will get charger on it this week and find out. If not should I be thinking starter or solenoid?
2) After running around a little bit an alarm started to beep on and off. nothing seemed over hot or too much water in the hull. The gas level was very low, will that alarm? The Previous owner said its because the key is getting turned a little and you just need to turn it back a little bit. I'll see next time I'm on the water. The seller was a nice old man so had to believe him. plus at any rate with how good it was running I wasn't thinking it could be too major. Does this make any sense to the pros on here? Ever heard of this? If not what else would you check?
3) The rubber seal on the engine bay does not stay stuck to the lid and falls down. The Boat was garage kept so I think was just hot and the adhesive broke down. What advice does anyone have on how I should re-attach this? It looks like he tried once before as well.

All in all it seems to be a good little boat and could be a lot of fun. One of the main things I need help with is advice on what I should check / change / clean before I start running this thing? What sort of maintenance does this type of boat need? There's no oil to change, no lower unit.... Not sure what to do with this thing. I'm ordering a manual for it but in the mean time please help me figure out what I want to make sure of on this thing before going nuts with it.

Thanks,
Doug

81merc

Seaman Apprentice
Well the first issue was low battery for sure. was worried it might be having some sort of compression lock or starter issue, but nope. Charged battery over night and it cranked over well. Has me wondering of that could be what the alarm was about as well. should have it back the water tomorrow so we'll see

81merc

Seaman Apprentice
going out for a ride tonight, hoping battery charge takes care of alarm too if its not just the key position

81merc

Seaman Apprentice
Still something not right, for sure didn't seem to be related to the key. Full battery and pretty full gas tank. Hull still very little water (I can't imagine enough to set off alarm). There's not much of a pattern to the alarms, 3 beeps, 6 beeps... I did notice that it was not going off when running full speed, or running around 15 or 20. Seemed to be most common when running under 15 mph or when coming off plane.

Anyone have any idea to trouble shoot these alarms on this engine / boat?

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer
Generally speaking you don't want any water in the boat unless it is tracked in from swimming. Can't help on the other stuff. Hope you get it sorted out.

81merc

Seaman Apprentice
Yes that's would describe the amount of water in the hull, 1/2 a gallon or so moving around from rain water / swim splashing. For what I have been reading that boat (and motor) don't have a hull water level alarm anyway so that sort of rules that out. I have read that a lot of these so end up having sensor issues especially on the oil and oil reserve tank levels, which would make sense since changing engine speed / boat angles seem to make it start and stop.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Which engine in that?

If it is one of the larger sportjets, it is most likely a low oil alarm. There are 2 oil tanks, one little one on the engine, and one big one that feeds the little one. Either one can cause an alarm condition, and generally unless you have a problem, you never touch or fill the little oil tank.

The buzzer will give you early notice to being low when you have the boat tilted up in the front, ie coming on or off plane... The sensor ends up thinking the tank is empty.

81merc

Seaman Apprentice
It has the 175 Sport Jet. I just went and looked and the reserve tank is about half full and there's no wires or sensors attached to it. How fast does this thing use oil could it be draining the upper tank faster then the reservoir can fill it? I can't imagine it can drain that tank from full to the top in the little bit of time I've driven it.