Electric jet ski lift installation

Lck7960

Cadet
Purchased a used Dockside Lil' Lifter electric lift recently and need installation advise. We are going to install it onto a 6" piling but the problem is the area is in 12" of water and having trouble getting the piling underground. The new piling is going to be between two existing pilings (which were driven in the ground when dock was built). To stabilize the new piling, I am going to attach a board underneath to both existing pilings and also from the back side. My question: will this be enough to hold the lift and jet ski (total of about 1000 lbs)? Any help is appreciated.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you are hiring a dock/pier company to drive the new pile, correct?

pilings are driven into the ground with a vibratory hammer, usually attached to a crane or at least a large excavator

the amount of erosion and score in the area and the amount of weight being supported both in moment and in vertical support will determine how large a diameter the pile is and how far down it needs to be driven.

so back to my first question (stated another way), how are you installing this pile that you are having an issue with?

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class
Scott has asked some good questions above that need to be answered for us.

Confirm that the depth of the water is 12 inches (12") or is it 12 feet (12'?)

I've got an electric Lil Lifter that I bought used and I installed on my dock two years ago. It has a weight capacity of 750 lbs which is plenty for the lightweight, 1994 Yamaha WaveRaider that I have sitting on it. Dry, empty weight of my ski is only 387 lbs. Most modern, 4-stroke skis are easily twice the weight. I'd be uncomfortable storing one on this small lift. Just sayin'.

I did the install myself. I'm a complete DIYer and I spent a lot of time thinking about how I was going to install the lift. I ended up removing a good bit of my dock's decking so I could get a good look at the structure underneath. I built up what I needed to build up with pressure treated lumber and large, galvanized lag bolts. I wanted to know that the lift was bolted to good, solid structure that wouldn't give way under the weight of the ski. I did not have another piling driven into the ground. Two years later and all is solid and good.

Post more details and maybe some pictures.