1993 seadoo spx first PWC

derek4325

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all, I just aquired a 1993 seadoo spx for $100, looks like it has been well taken care of (or at least kept out of the sun) couple of gouges that need filled with fiberglass (no soft spots). Anyways im really not sure what kind of shape the engine is in. It is complete except for the starter, i just bought a new starter and im not even sure if i have all the brackets and what not to install it. But my question is really........ where do i begin? This is my first PWC and to be honest I'm lost, i believe its a 587 rotax engine and aside from the basic stuff like cleaning the carbs, changing fuel lines, and draining tanks. Where do i start? I cant check compression yet on account that i cant crank it over without the starter on, what psi should i get per cylinder? Would it be best to just pull the engine and service it that way? Is it hard to do? I did download a service manual and i did study it a bit but regardless im still a newbee with PWCs. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Derek..... P.S. do you all generally rely on the oil injection or do you feel its best to play it safe and just premix?

alldodge

Staff member
The oldest one I ever messed with was a 2000 GTX. Since you downloaded the manual it should indicate what the compression pressure should be, if not I would look for something above 100 psi. Put the starter on and get it cranking. This will tell you if you need a rebuild or new motor. Since the starter was removed I would guess the motor is short, but just a guess

Oil injection works great, but it has to work. Being that old it is suspect.

andrewterri

Chief Petty Officer
while this post is a couple months old I will add my thoughts incase derek4325 sees it. Your compression would be 150psi from factory. 120 and under will be looking for a new topend soon. about 105 and less it will be very hard to start in the water. With the starter being removed it might just be bad, those starters are known to fail. As alldodge stated you need to have your compression to know what your working with. your first step would be to remove the plugs and grab the round looking white disk (pto) at the back of the engine, the impeller shaft might still be connected, and see if you can turn it over by hand. this will tell you if your rings, pistons, mains, and everything else is rusted and sized or not. If it turns than that is a good sign. If not, a rebuild is in order. the engine in the 93 spx is the 587 white top I believe. they are cheap to get a rebuild. If you see this post, start with that and repost what you got.

derek4325

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Haven't forgotten about all this lol. Just busy busy busy, hopefully I will have a chance to play with it this weekend and ill let you know what i find