How many hours do you have on your 2005+ Waverunner?

ozenine

Petty Officer 1st Class
Guys, how many "trouble free" hours do you have on your Yamaha Waverunner?
I am looking to buy Yamaha jet boat and they come with 1100 CC Yamaha jet engines. I cannot find the owners of the yamaha jet boats with over 300 hours, so reliability/longevity is my main concern. But I am sure some of you run your wave runners a lot. Please let me know of your experience.

jkust

Rear Admiral
I think I've got close to 200 hours on mine though I wouldn't be a buyer of any Waverunner that wasn't their 1.8 liter supercharged version be it sho or svho. So far, it has been completely issue free. Just an annual oil change and lube a few items yearly and it goes like a rocket. I had to to the preventative maintenance spark plugs once as well. Huge difference between their 1.8 liter engines and their smaller engines that you are considering. Yamaha is know for unrelenting reliability, over building their engines and not pushing them to their limit versus smaller 3 cylinder Sea Doo engines, the requirement of 87 octane instead of high octane and up until 2015, less technology than their Sea Doo competition which still lingers a little bit.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I think I've got close to 200 hours on mine though I wouldn't be a buyer of any Waverunner that wasn't their 1.8 liter supercharged version be it sho or svho. So far, it has been completely issue free. Just an annual oil change and lube a few items yearly and it goes like a rocket. I had to to the preventative maintenance spark plugs once as well. Huge difference between their 1.8 liter engines and their smaller engines that you are considering. Yamaha is know for unrelenting reliability, over building their engines and not pushing them to their limit versus smaller 3 cylinder Sea Doo engines, the requirement of 87 octane instead of high octane and up until 2015, less technology than their Sea Doo competition which still lingers a little bit.

I agree about the 1.8 liter, but I wouldn't own a supercharged version. The HO is bulletproof, and the S and SV, IMHO, provide no added benefit.

jkust

Rear Admiral
I agree about the 1.8 liter, but I wouldn't own a supercharged version. The HO is bulletproof, and the S and SV, IMHO, provide no added benefit.

The Yamaha supercharger is zero maintenance. It's like a free lunch maintenance-wise. I run with HO's and just about every pwc you can think of all summer as I live on a large lake in the summer and I only can call it as I see it. Then of course they came out with the SVHO which provides even more performance than the SHO though the first svho's had timing chain issues. HO is still decent though.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
the SVHO which provides even more performance than the SHO

My comment made no reference to maintenance. I said there is "no added benefit".

Everybody knows that the S-D superchargers have maintenance issues, but that's another story.

My HO goes north of 60 miles per hour. How fast to you want to go? Maybe you should replace the word "performance" with "speed".

Sure, the SHOs and SVHOs go faster, but there is no improvement in "performance". Except added fuel usage......LOL.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
If she is a 2 stroke, you will need to become mechanically familiar with rebuilds.
Although im a fan of the yamaha 2 stroke and own one in a jet ski, you need a top end rebuild every 100 hours to keep her reliable. If you are not able to do this yourself it will get pricey. That’s in a jet ski. These things are high revving screaming small cc engines. Will be hard worked in a boat.
Allthough great fun, I’d stay clear of it. Even if it’s a 4 stroke, they also have to work hard in a boat and seem dreadfully inefficient for the power.
Unkess you need to do 360 spins all day and run in a foot of water all the time, likely better off with a prop driven boat.
All that said, maintaining a 2 stroke yamaha can be great fun...and who doesn’t love the smell !

jkust

Rear Admiral
My comment made no reference to maintenance. I said there is "no added benefit".

Everybody knows that the S-D superchargers have maintenance issues, but that's another story.

My HO goes north of 60 miles per hour. How fast to you want to go? Maybe you should replace the word "performance" with "speed".

Sure, the SHOs and SVHOs go faster, but there is no improvement in "performance". Except added fuel usage......LOL.

Never saw this response....been on the road. As my slightly overbearing and know it all colleague says, I will challenge you on that. Supercharged engine is a superior mousetrap. I don't know how else to say it but I'd love to ride with you on my lake and show you. While My sho goes 68ish gps when the limiter kicks in and stops it at 70 on the speedo, the 'performance comes into play as well when you are playing from spin to spin, jump to jump. It winds up immediately. That is ignoring what happens when you unleash the true power of the 1.8 liter supercharded engine with add on's and modifications. I only know how it is when I ride with my HO buddies who also live on my lake....experienced riders all. I eat them up with the sho.
I don't deny it absolutely drinks gas beyond anything I've ever experienced in my life when I'm doing what the sho does better than the HO. I downhill ski at 67mph...60 on a waverunner just doesn't cut it.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Never saw this response....been on the road. As my slightly overbearing and know it all colleague says, I will challenge you on that. Supercharged engine is a superior mousetrap. I don't know how else to say it but I'd love to ride with you on my lake and show you. While My sho goes 68ish gps when the limiter kicks in and stops it at 70 on the speedo, the 'performance comes into play as well when you are playing from spin to spin, jump to jump. It winds up immediately. That is ignoring what happens when you unleash the true power of the 1.8 liter supercharded engine with add on's and modifications. I only know how it is when I ride with my HO buddies who also live on my lake....experienced riders all. I eat them up with the sho.
I don't deny it absolutely drinks gas beyond anything I've ever experienced in my life when I'm doing what the sho does better than the HO. I downhill ski at 67mph...60 on a waverunner just doesn't cut it.

No challenge. I don't doubt you for one minute. When you said "Lake", maybe that says it all.

My Lake is Erie and if the waves get below a foot its an odd day. If you were able to get to 68 mph I would imagine your #$@! would be hurting afterwards.....LOL.

We've been riding 'skis for over 25 years. Our current HO (a 2015) is the fastest we ever had and gives us better performance and service than any other one we owned. At one time we had both an NA and an SC S-D and other than a couple mph top end the performance difference was pitiful. Sure, not a Yami, but just saying.

We're quite pleased with our 'ski and love the awesome fuel economy. If you want to go faster faster, then go for it.

jkust

Rear Admiral
No challenge. I don't doubt you for one minute. When you said "Lake", maybe that says it all.

My Lake is Erie and if the waves get below a foot its an odd day. If you were able to get to 68 mph I would imagine your #$@! would be hurting afterwards.....LOL.

We've been riding 'skis for over 25 years. Our current HO (a 2015) is the fastest we ever had and gives us better performance and service than any other one we owned. At one time we had both an NA and an SC S-D and other than a couple mph top end the performance difference was pitiful. Sure, not a Yami, but just saying.

We're quite pleased with our 'ski and love the awesome fuel economy. If you want to go faster faster, then go for it.

I'm just playing with you. We are on a large inland lake but it's no erie. Easy to find a day to hit top speeds. I've done it in the ocean and sure, it's tough to do much at that very high speed. All non-basic stock skis hit somewhere close to the magical 70mph cut off, it's all about the acceleration now. It's crazy, the slight acceleration difference between the ho, the sho and the svho and you pay thousands for each jump. Like trying to add more performance onto a boat, it's a game of a couple mph's and $. My beef actually with Yamaha is that they don't give you options to tone down the performance other than one low power setting. I'd like 3 or four settings. My 16 year old doesn't need to go 70, but 40 with astronomically slow acceleration under the low power setting is just too slow.