thoughts of 2013 Polaris Genesis with trailer BUT 'cracked piston' for sale.

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
I know nothing of this PWC, but I am very handy mechanically. The owner doesn't sound like she knows a lot about the vehicle and is just selling the trailer with a free PWC on top of it...she was told it had a cracked piston....I assume they mean a cracked head.

the price of the trailer is $300...should I bother? It does sound like if the only issue is a cracked head or jug (or whatever polaris calls them) that is sounds like a great project.

I gather this motor is a 2 stroke fuel injected, so I'll have to contend with the EMM, fuel injectors etc.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
could be cracked piston, could be cracked head, could be cracked block

if you buy it, price out a complete drop in replacement motor, take that price plus the core price and that is the minimum that you should expect to put into the PWC

jkust

Rear Admiral
Polaris stopped producing PWC's in 2004 so that Polaris Genesis is going to be a relic in PWC terms given how far they have come since then. That's fine, I still see the oldies around on our lake but that I know that Polaris had some major electrical issues and that parts can be a little harder to locate. My buddy just picked this same machine up that was left in the woods uncovered by the owner only to be eaten by mice. It cost him a couple grand to get the engine running again. Funny how a 2004 boat is barely broken in many times in my state with short summers but a 2004 PWC is ancient history.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Not sure there is such a thing as a Polaris genesis 2013 2 Stroke....or much any jet ski from 2013 that is a 2 stroke. Certainly over here in uk. Perhaps you guys still get them.

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
Not sure there is such a thing as a Polaris genesis 2013 2 Stroke....or much any jet ski from 2013 that is a 2 stroke. Certainly over here in uk. Perhaps you guys still get them.

It looks like the seller mislabeled the advert....probably a 2003....(I'm new to PWC, still looking for my first pair, so clueless of the particulars of the models and years, etc)

seeing that the polaris is no longer in production, not so sure I should even try since the parts might be hard to come by.

also the unit is coming from a state where they DON'T title the craft which makes it a bit difficult to title and register in FL....

putting in a new engine doesn't scare me...it the possibility that the thing is stolen is and scares parts that makes me pause.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi
If you are mechanically inclined, I might be tempted. Just need to make sure the price of rebuilding isn?t going to equal the value of it when running. I?m not exactly certain about part costing over there, but over here it would be about ?800-?900 in parts worst case full rebuild and top end about ?500. Then after that, you may have the problem of the Polaris not really being a sought after ski....because of reliability problems in certain models. If you are going to keep it for a good while, might be different.
Either that....if you are pretty handy, drop a Yamaha 2 stroke motor in it or better still get creative and drop something else in for a unique machine.
Whatever you decide, good luck.

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
^^ I didn't think about doing a retro-mod like we do with rat-rods....put a chevy in a model T......

the price is good, but the parts seem to be iffy on access even in the US....and the whole title thing is spooking me.

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class
You will likely end up with a 2,000 or 2,500 jet ski to get it running. You can buy a Polaris running already for that.

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Agree on not worth fixing but if you do is it a weber or Fict engine? 2003 or 2004? Could be a cracked piston. More likely a hole in a piston. You can get parts. Contrary to above posts yes that are not modern machines but a Polaris 1200 which this should be will run with modern machines and out run a lot of modern machines.