Looking for tips on first PWC...

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Will be a 2 stroke. Bit if a gamble I would think. Most would advise to stick to the Yamaha.

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
So ranking on first timer tinker?

Yamaha
SeaDoo

where does Kawasaki fit in the equation?

looking at a pair of 2003 kawasaki 1100 zx1....

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Back in the day, SeaDoo sold more skis than all the others combined. They were the fastest and most "fun" to ride. Yamaha came in second because of their notable reliability, though some called them boring after riding a 'Doo. Kawis have a following of their own because some models are also very agile and fast. They might improve their sales if they had a better dealer network. All the others are out of bizzness - nuff said about them.....LOL.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Kawasaki are like any other Jap product. Love em or hate em...reliable and bomb proof !

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Life long boater and experienced shade tree mercruiser mechanic, Don't have a ton of experince with skis but will share my experince-

about 7 years ago by dad bought a 2004 Sea doo gti rfi le so I could teach my kids to water ski in shallower water. It had 100 hrs on it and I think he paid $4k with a trailer. It's a two cycle 110 hp. And really has been nothing but a ton of fun for us. No real maintenance issues, yeah the synthetic 2 cycle oil hurts at $50 a gallon, but I buy one a year. I do the winterization and change the pump oil annually (which is a bit of a pain). At 175 hrs i resealed the jet pump and replaced the wear ring, plus one RAVE valve rebuild. Only issue I've had is it fouls the plugs a bit, I think the throttle position sensor needs to be reset. While not a great solution I just change the plugs after a couple weeks, two of them is less than $5...

Bottom line it was a well cared for ski, unless you're right on the water people stop using them because life is too busy. If you find one like this it's worth paying a little more for one a bit newer, but I'd stick with a mid to lower end ski. It does 50 ish and unless the water is like glass it's a crappy ride, my kids have skied, wakeboarded, and tubed behind it.

Good luck

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
thanks all....we are not ON the water, but as the crow flies maybe 2 miles, the dock is about 15-20 minutes away...thus we would use the PWC frequently...and if bought at the right price I won't feel crappy if I didn't use them often enough...

I'll let you all know what I got...toss up between yamaha, sea-doo and kawasaki.....have my eye on a pair of sea-doos with trailer for 1500 OBO...

fishrdan

Admiral
Check your local laws/regulations, 2- stroke ban. I wouldn't own a 2 stroke PWC out here. since there wouldn't be any where I could use it...

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
Check your local laws/regulations, 2- stroke ban. I wouldn't own a 2 stroke PWC out here. since there wouldn't be any where I could use it...

good call, many lakes won't allow 2strokes, not the case for me (Gulf of Mexico) .....where is "out here"?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
some Of the seadoo 2 strokes meet the emission standards, like the DI models.

77GlastronMT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had 2 Polaris back in the 90's, a 2 seater and a 3 seater. They were awesome! No maintenance issues, no breakdowns, loved them, wish I still had them. I'm on the hunt for a couple but even the older ones are expensive out here.

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
I have taken polaris off the list as they are no longer in business and parts are either uber expensive or obsolete...too bad too , as I too have heard good things of them

almost bought a 94 waverunner venture that was in great condition except for the motor...48 PSI in front cylinder 135 psi in rear. Did some research and found that for about 200-250 I could get two pistons, pins, bearings and rings. BUT the cylinders was a one piece unit and a good used one is at least 200$...but a new one is about $500.

I offered $500 for the whole thing down from $700, as there is no telling how much damage there is in the cylinder or crank.

I need to know which yamaha waverunners have the engines where the cylinders are individual jugs....I think at least xl800 has these jugs.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Certainly the power valve 800’s 1200’s and 1300’s have individual. Think the 760 does too. Non power valve engines of the same cc likely do too.
I rebuilt the top end on my GP800R recently. Both cylinders re honed and new pistons, rings and gasket set for both cylinders were about £400. Likely half the price over there. 120psi is what you are after with these engines. Great wee things. 800r will run mid to late 50’s GPS and only sip the fuel. Light enough to throw about too.

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
Getting close...tomorrow I go see a 2000 Yamaha Xl 1200, that supposedly only needs a starter for $650....I have a bore scope that I will use to inspect the pistons and cylinder walls..

If I disconnect the seized starter, is there a way to easily turn the motor (with plugs out)?

The going to see a pair of 1999 yamaha waverunner ventures where one has a seized motor from salt water intrusion...Source for cheap rebuilt or used motors would be helpful.

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
Update:
Looking at a rough looking 2000 Yamaha XL 1200, going to scope out the cylinders, but the starter is shot so can't do a compression test. Also needs new seat and fiberglass repair...Planning on getting this to fix up and flip it...pretty handy with fiberglass and pretty sure I can re-gel coat the damage. The trailer is rough too, so needs bunks and leaf springs....so I'll put in some time and some parts and flip it once it is water ready.

also looking at a pair of water ready 1998 yamaha GP800 with double trailer..

Thoughts?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
If you going for the 1200, I’d want it very cheap or not at all without a compression test. Really is a must on old 2 strokes......unless you get it cheap and budget for a rebuild just in case. The sum of which together shouldn’t equal more than its worth. I don’t know the 1200 engine too well, but I do hear that yammy guys don’t think much of the power valve version (likely what that is)...they prefer the earlier non power valve. Apparently less problematic and not so bad to work on.
As for the wee GP800. Great wee things and will always put a smile on your face. Hardly use any fuel compared to the gutsy 1200 and 1300, will do early to mid 50’s gps and so light that you can really throw it about.
Only thing is that because it’s good for the above, it’s matbe not so good if you plan to have more than one person with you. You will get wet at some point with this. Not as stable as the newer GP800R version.
Deoends what you want. The xl will be quick enough, not as agile as the GP, but should you not want to get wet, you wouldn’t. Can also easily take two people without risk of capsize. 3 would be asking for it, haha.
All in all, depends on what you want from it.
Fuel efficient smiles per mile one up....get the GP
if the xl is really cheap and you want family time and cruising on it...get that...they are thirsty though and obviously 33% dearer to fix or rebuild come the time.

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
Update:
well I pulled the trigger on two 1997 waverunners.
1 - is a gp1200 with 67 hrs...compression on all 3 cyl registered 130psi.....looks brand new the engine bay looks brand new too.

2 - is a Waveblaster 2- 760 - compression on all 2 cylinder was 140 psi...ditto...looks brand new as well as engine bay. Not a lot of storage though :-(.....

Owner bought these together so both motors have about 67 hrs.

the trailer is freaking awesome, comes with locking storage and 4 5gal gas cans that have a locking mechanism.

Still running the oil pump of each of them....I wonder if I should invest in new pumps for safety sakes.

The 760 smokes a lot at idle and has unburnt oil resider on the plate, similar to my 1986 evinrude. Not sure how the oil injection works if it is variable or it is just a single ratio for all rpms.

going to get a cooler holder for the larger one and steps for both.