94 Sea Rayder RPM Issue

joeyex25

Recruit
Hi All,

I recently came into possession of a 94 Sea Rayder 90 HP. After taking it out for the first time, I could only get it to max out at around 15-20 MPH. There were only to of us on the boat so it can't be weight.

After trying various things, I threw it into reverse and the RPM could actually go higher in reverse than in forward. What could be limiting RPMs in forward? Some sort of throttle issue? I'm new to jet boats so any thoughts are much appreciated!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Check the compression and spark on all cylinders.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
As GA mentioned.
The higher revs in reverse are because it is cavitating by drawing airiated water.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
As GA mentioned.
The higher revs in reverse are because it is cavitating by drawing airiated water.

It's a jet boat with reverse bucket. So in reverse, the bucket is forcing water back toward the ride plate. Blowing bubbly water to the intake could cause that.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Haha. I hope so....maybe not...I'll read again or maybe just agree to agree...or disagree. Haha. Have pity on me...just in from an afternoon and night on the boat and pretty much all the pubs on Loch Lomond where I could tie the boat up !

maicoman

Seaman
Don't spend a dime on that jet boat.Total waste of money,the engine is a great boat anchor nothing more.Deaquire as fast as possible.Word to the wise