Clear All

• 1999 Yamaha XL760 Stalls at Full Throttle

I have a 1999 Yamaha XL760 and it stalls when I go full throttle. I have
    - replaced all fuel filters even the one in the carb
    - I rebuilt the carb
    - replaced all fuel lines.
    - compression at 140 and 150 psi.
    -bypassed vent
    -fuel system is basically new except needle and seat and they looked good.

And there is no change. Please help.

Thanks
    G
    Last edited by geoffism; July 31st, 2017, 06:23 PM.

not familiar with PWC, but based on that description...I would suspect a timing issue. I imagine like most other engines...the more air you put into it, the more advance the motor has to be with a max advance somewhere around 3000-4000....

If the motor is not advancing then the motor would lug...maybe not stall....but....

I'll subscribe to see the outcome.

How is timing done on these machines? Is there a magnet on the flywheel to denote crank position, and to trigger the ignition? I imagine there is a stator to provide voltage (300-400v) range to some CDI components, right?
    1986 Offshore (OSY) CC 21', 1986 Evinrude 225 hp

Comment

Is the new fuel filter running not only the right direction, but also the correct way up ? There is an arrow for fuel flow direction, but also the way up it should be. Fooled me once and had the same symptoms.
      Previous to this, I also put a normal in line fuel filter on it and it did the same. Fitted a oem yamaha one and it worked. Think they need a certain way of flowing. If you look at the oem filter it has a very distinctive shape and function.
      Good luck.

Comment

Also check the fuel tank pick up pipe and lines are clear. Would cause same symptoms.

Comment

Working...
        X