2007 Yamaha Waverunner FX HO idling and warmup issues

billpa

Cadet
Hello!

My 2007 Waverunner FX HO (EFI) has run perfectly for the past 9 years, but I am having an interesting set of issues with it this season.

When I first tried to start it this season, the starter motor ran, but it wouldn't start. And, occasionally during the starting efforts, the starter would freeze, but the motor would tilt over on its mounts, indicating that the starter was trying to turn. After a few tries, the starter would again turn the motor easily, like there was nothing wrong. But it wouldn't start.

I replaced the battery with a new one, which did not affect the issue.

I finally got the ski started after many tries. It ran kind of rough at first, but seemed to run normally after that, on the hose. The ski now starts easily/normally when on land.

However, when I tried it on the water, it started fine, but quickly died. I was finally able to get it to stay running on the water by starting it and revving the throttle repeatedly. It finally would run, but produced some white smoke briefly (smelled like oil). After a minute or so of running rough, it ran perfectly.

I ran it for about an hour or so on the water, with no issues and full power.

On a later date I put it back on the water, and had the same initial problem, but it runs fine after warm-up.

I changed the spark plugs, which has not affected the issue.

I've changed the oil correctly and verified oil level after warm-up (been there, done that), and there is no oil on the air filter,

It also has fresh fuel.

To summarize, here's what's happening now:

1) Ski starts, idles and revs fine on land.
2) On water, ski is very hard to keep running on idle initially (and doesn't respond to throttle initially), and smokes briefly after it finally starts to run.
2) Ski runs perfectly once it gets going, and stops/starts fine until it cools down again.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this? Thanks!