2003 Sunesta 223 Poor Acceleration

jamisond

Recruit
I recently purchased a 2003 Sunesta 223 with the 5.0 GXI Volvo-Penta motor. It has a Duoprop outdrive with 1.95:1 gear ratio pushing F5 props. I am seeing terrible acceleration times to plane. I usually run a full boat, 4 to 6 adults 2 to 4 kids and am getting planing times of 11 to 12 seconds. Pulling a 200 lbs. wakeboarder increases my plane time to 20, 21 seconds. I am constantly having to run wot just to get the boat to move. When pulling a tube, it takes a while to plane and I have to have the accelerator down when I turn, or I loose so much power, that the tube ends up being like an anchor. When I hit the holeshot, the tach reads 2700 rpm until I get on plane and then it will start climbing. I was running wot on plane at 40mph and hitting rpms of only 4200.
I do a lot of watersports and care more about holeshot acceleration than top end speed. Does anyone know why I am not getting a decent holeshot with my setup? I recently had the engine serviced and compression checked. Everything was spot on. I did replace the screen in the fuel regulator with the eclip, but experienced no additional power. Is there something the mechanics and myself might be over-looking? Would a change in props help, or am I just underpowered for my boat?

Attachments

• 649376_9.jpg
    649376_9.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... From yer story, I'm guessin' ya need smaller props to get the power, 'n rpms up,....

Rpms at Wot oughta be 'bout 4800,....

jamisond

Recruit
I suspected as much, but figured I'd get some advice to any other culprits before I pull the trigger on new props. I was thinking F4 might be the right size?

Bondo

Staff member
I suspected as much, but figured I'd get some advice to any other culprits before I pull the trigger on new props. I was thinking F4 might be the right size?

Ayuh,.... How 'bout I just move this thread right up to the prop forum,......

Some pretty good guys up there, really know their stuff with props,....

I never understood the Volvo numberin' of the duo-props,....