2015 Four Winns Prop Selection

Dturnbull

Cadet
Hi All,

I am about to buy a 2015 Four Winns H210 with the GXi 5.0 and it comes with an aluminum prop but I want a stainless prop and looking for suggestions. I am thinking its best to just have the dealer install the upgrades stainless that is optional but wondering if there is a better prop that would be better for me to get on my own. I have listed all the info I feel should help with your opinions and potential experience with a similar setup.

Thanks

1) Performance issue you are trying to correct- Best Top End with minimal lower end loss/better performing prop!
2) Current prop manufacturer, model, aluminum or stainless as a minimum. Aluminum/Volvo/14.5x21x3Blade
3) Current prop diameter and pitch (required).14.5x21x3Blade
4) Wide open throttle....... RPM........ and speed with an average load -5000RPM 51Mph(speedo) 4 people 3/4tank of fuel
5) Engine/drive make, model, year, and HP-2015 Four winns H210 5.0GXI 270Hp Volvo SX outdrive
Post your gearing 1:60
6) Boat make model, year, length and weight - 2015 Four Winns H210 3400lbs

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Well....lol you pretty much laid that out so here's how it plays out.

21p 1.60g 5000rpm 51 mph speedo and a heavy load 18% slip the speedo make's it tough they lie like dogs on a hot summer day..GPS speed would have been very telling. I am sorry i have to defer based on non gps speed and the below test. The new merc 6 is very close to your engine very and it tops out at 45. A gut feeling would be a 19 pitch ss at 9% slip getting 51 or more. If you could take a spin and verify that speed with GPS at 51 mph that would indicate that your boat is by far faster than that test...not good new's for the new v6 from merc. Aside from that your prop is slipping badly could you take a pic of the prop lets see if she's cavitating badly.

21' boat 265 hp 3400 lbs sounds like a 55/60 mph boat maybe

http://www.boatingworld.com/BoatTests/Article/Four-Winns-H2102014-12-30T16-23-52

http://www.boattest.com/boats/boat_video.aspx?ID=3276
  • Top speed for the Four Winns H210 (2015-) is 46.6 mph (75 kph), burning 20.2 gallons per hour (gph) or 76.46 liters per hour (lph).
  • Best cruise for the Four Winns H210 (2015-) is 24.7 mph (39.8 kph), and the boat gets 4.3 miles per gallon (mpg) or 1.83 kilometers per liter (kpl), giving the boat a cruising range of 156 miles (251.06 kilometers).

Last edited:

Dturnbull

Cadet
Thanks for the input Tail-Gunner!

I put a deposit on the boat today and took a closer look at the prop and I was wrong it has a 19x14.5 3 Blade. I got my other number off a spec online. I would think that would change things!!

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
The Stilletto prop line is a very good prop to use if you so choose to buy. You info needs to be accurate or its just wasting money....Just take your time nice boat by the way and good luck

Dturnbull

Cadet
Update!

Picked up the boat today! The dealer did not have a 21p 3 blade stainless for me to try but he did have a 22p 3 blade stainless for me to try. Very simple to much pitch. I did reach 4600Rpm but there was no lower end at all just a dog. Mid range it seemed pretty good. Top end it was pretty choppy on Big Sebago Lake Windham ME, but I had full gear 2 adults, full tank and hit 47Mph Gps so nothing impressive top end either. I am going to get a GPS reading tomorrow with the 19p, and then try a 21p after that.
Thanks

Derek

Last edited:

Dturnbull

Cadet
Hi All,
I ran the 19x14.5p aluminum today and got the following results
Great out of the hole
Excellent Mid range
Top end I hit 50mph on Gps at 5000rpm
I am going to try out a 21p next before I put some cash down on a stainless.
Fyi- My speedo was consistently 5Mph off!

I am hoping the 21P will give some decent lower end and a bit more up top!

Thanks

Dturnbull

Cadet
Hi All,
I ran the 14.3X21"p Aluminum yesterday and got the following results
Good out of the hole
Excellent Mid Range
Top End hit 51Mph Gps at 4900Rpms with some pretty big white caps on Sebago Lake!
I will be purchasing a stainless Volvo 21"p prop and will post the final results.

Please keep in mind all the results have come with between full to 3/4 tank of fuel 2 adults, 2 children, and full gear. The boat now has 4 hours on it so I expect it to perform better as it breaks in.

Thanks

You might want to keep in mind that going to a stainless steel prop of the same size as your aluminum will cause you to drop RPM as a stainless prop is heavier, will have less slip, and will not flex as much. In addition, many stainless steel props have more cupping than factory aluminum props which will further decrease your RPM. I would double check that the stainless steel prop you purchase does not have added cupping compared to the aluminum prop you tested. If it does have more cupping than dropping down to a 20 or even 19 pitch may be a good idea. Different props even of the same pitch can act very differently, so without testing the exact prop model you plan to buy it is impossible to know for sure how it will perform.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Please keep in mind all the results have come with between full to 3/4 tank of fuel 2 adults, 2 children, and full gear. The boat now has 4 hours on it so I expect it to perform better as it breaks in.

You have read the break in requirements? Also, I wouldn't have played around with props that much until you get at least 15-20 hours on her. Engines can loosen up and gain quite a bit sometimes.

Dturnbull

Cadet
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments Please see my responses in bold below

You might want to keep in mind that going to a stainless steel prop of the same size as your aluminum will cause you to drop RPM as a stainless prop is heavier, will have less slip, and will not flex as much. In addition, many stainless steel props have more cupping than factory aluminum props which will further decrease your RPM. I would double check that the stainless steel prop you purchase does not have added cupping compared to the aluminum prop you tested. If it does have more cupping than dropping down to a 20 or even 19 pitch may be a good idea. Different props even of the same pitch can act very differently, so without testing the exact prop model you plan to buy it is impossible to know for sure how it will perform. (See my first test dated 6-13-15 that was a Volvo as well as the stainless 21" Pitch I am purchasing I anticipate another small drop in Rpm yet with a 22" pitch putting me at 4600rpms I should be around 4700-4800 with the 21" I will soon find out)

You have read the break in requirements?(Yes-Thanks from my understanding don't hold one throttle position more than 2mins!) Also, I wouldn't have played around with props that much until you get at least 15-20 hours on her. Engines can loosen up and gain quite a bit sometimes.(Agree)

Dturnbull

Cadet
Hi All,

I tried out my new 21"x14.75 Stainless Volvo factory prop. I regretfully admit it was to much pitch! The max RPM I could get to was 4500-4600 :( So I am trying to swap it for a 19" Stainless Volvo. If they wont take it back any one interested in a 14.75X21" Volvo Stainless prop with about an hour on it. It is $520 new.

Thanks

Dturnbull

Cadet
Hi All,

​ I wanted to finish this post by saying I did go to the 19" stainless Volvo prop and it was awesome. Made a world of difference from top to bottom and had me right at that 5000 rpm I needed at WOT. Gps reading varied from 50-53mpg depending on load in the boat and conditions. So anyways if you are looking for an upgraded prop for the H210 with the 5.0liter GXI I feel this prop is probably your best performer hands down!

​ On another note I am selling the boat to go bigger as Sebago lake is to dam rough for a 21' boat. I will also be selling my 21" aluminum prop as well as my 21" Stainless prop! msg me if you are interested.

Thanks

Derek

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Keep the AL as a spare, it may get you home even when the propshaft gets bent after an impact