OPINION/ADVICE, WHY IS MY BOAT SO SLOW? 2001 Starcraft Stardeck Aurora 2009 O/B..

Status
Not open for further replies.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
It appears a 19" prop would put you at "about" 5450. Speed might be a wash but performance should be better.
The Turning point Hustler in a 18 or19" might do it.The
The Hustler is pretty aggressive so may not get to 5450.A 19" may test like a 20 so perhaps a 18" is a better choice.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Here let me make better sense of this....1.87 gearing 5750 recomended rpm 21p prop gets a 61 mph thero speed wtih 12% slip its 54mph....that's what hes trying to work make now it's no wonder its sluggish he's way over propped.

So one takes a 17 p prop and runs's 5750 gearing 12% slip and 46 mph....you will be pleased with your hole shot as well.By the way that's a pretty stout engine turning that 21 that high in the rpm band.

Ok one thing need's to be checked to validate the above....the tach they are notourios for being inaccurate if you verify the tach is correct across the entire rpm band then the above holds true lets play with a 19..

1.87...19p.....10%slip gets 50mph.....ok 3000lbs??/ 21ft....50 mph????? Starcraft makes a great boat and fast hull's however 50 mph with a 150 hp and a 21' boat is a bit much..

What are you looking for in a prop full on top speed for short bursts or all arond performance ...SS or alum...17p should be the number.

Ohh and this: The engine is rather noisy between idle and 3,800 rpm where it feels quieter/smoother.. Even my wife said it's a noisy engine.. It almost sounds "rattly" from 3,000 - 3,800 rpm, but I've heard these are noisy engines, so I dismissed it..

Your lugging the engine badly and when lugged they do strain with some strange noise's.... The height looks healthy your water pickup is just below the hull.

Last edited:

Globug

Cadet
Ideally, I don't need or desire to go faster than 40..

It would be nice to have a higher top end I guess, but realistically, I just like to cruise around the lake at the slowest and most economical speed I can stay on plane..

What I would like is to be able to comfortably cruise at about 20 mph without lugging the engine..

It seems like I have to go 25 mph just to stay on plane and when I go into a turn I have to throttle up quite a bit to keep it from falling off plane..

If I could put it in words, I'd like "holding power" and more power accelerating from idle to plane..

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Smart tabs will help improve cruising speed. Also a 4 blade prop will improve hole shot,stay on plane with less fiddling
feel smoother and respond better around the dock.The Solas Amita 4 blade has a good reputation.
i would think no more than a 19" pitch.You will likely lose some top end.The Merc Spitfire 4 blade is said to maintain top speed better.
Your most ideal economy cruising speed is not necessarily just barely on plane could be as much as 1000 rpm higher.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Does anyone think a heavy deck boat might be too much for an aluminum spitfire prop? I am a cheap bastard and the price ($165) is appealing, especially considering how easy it is to hit a rock in my lake..
If a prop is designed to fit a 150 hp I don't think it will struggle with a deck boat.
Have we established if the tach is accurate?

Last edited:

cobra1476

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Wow! Yours is nice! I have a 2002 model that looks like it went to hell and back (Party Boat). I also have a mercury 150XL but it is a 2 stroke. I have a 19" prop stainless. It gets up and goes no problem. I can hit 43mph without going full throttle.

Have you had plugs checked? When was the motor last tuned up?

Globug

Cadet
Finally got around to putting a new prop on yesterday. Went with a Hustler, 4 blade, 17p.. Wow! Like a new boat, love it again. Jumps out of the water compared to the 3 blade, 21p I had on it previously. I expected some loss on top end, but that didn't happen.. Actually got to 41mph (on gps) vs the 38mph I was maxing at before. RPM's changed for the better,, maxing at about 5,400.. I really couldn't have asked for better results. Thanks again everyone for the advice and input..

greeny12

Recruit
Is this the prop you got for your boat? I have the same boat and motor and have the same problem. Just want to get the right one. Turning Point Le-1417-4 Hustler Aluminum - Right-Hand Propeller - 14.5 X 17 - 4-Blade

Last edited by a moderator:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Is this the prop you got for your boat? I have the same boat and motor and have the same problem. Just want to get the right one. Turning Point Le-1417-4 Hustler Aluminum - Right-Hand Propeller - 14.5 X 17 - 4-Blade
https://www.hodgesmarine.com/Default.asp had it listed for $79.37 and the hub kit for $36.74

It's a little tough to ask questions of a member who hasn't been in the forum in 4 years and expect a response. New thread please.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.