mercury prop

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer
Re: mercury prop

Pete,

The Laser II is a 3 blade prop made by Mercury. It's a older bow lifting design and works well on a variety of lighter boats that can benefit from those properties.

Stilletto is a prop manufacturer. Their Advantage II would be close to what the Laser II is.

Assuming we're talking about large hub props for 4.75" gear cases.

What are you trying to do?

PETE BUTZEN

Seaman

I am trying to get alittle more power 20 ft trophy 120 hp force . I am running a 19 pitch stainless 4800 / 5000 rpms . It is a low hour good running motor like to try a 17 pitch . I only know that it is 13.25 / 17 stilleto . What do you think ? Thanks Pete

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer

I think the Force is a 4.25" gear case and if the prop your talking about is a stainless Stilleto for that gear case it's probably a Advantage I. If so is should run OK. I would give it a try. What's the recommended WOT RPM range on that motor?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

To help make an informed decision we need you to answer the Qs in Read this first at the top of the prop forum.
Try to pinpoint your rpm at one number even if it's just what you feel you make most of the time.
Your speed by gps would be most helpful.We need the year of the boat and motor.
Your lightly loaded wot rpm and gps speed can tell us a lot.

PETE BUTZEN

Seaman

rpm 4900 / gps speed 30 mph / boat 2000 trophy 20 ff / 1999 merc force 200 hrs / 3400 lbs boat weight /recommended rpm 5250 / rough seas I am lugging motor I do not think that is good for it . I am currently running a 3.25/ 19 pitch stainless michigan wheel . I was thinking of going to a 13.25 /17 pitch stilleto . To my understanding the higher rpm would be better on the motor . Would this prop work ? I read a little on the stilleto and the reveiws are mixed , Seams the mercury props are better . If so there are to many to choose from . Or am I just waisting Money . Thanks Pete

jestor68

Commander

Did anyone notice that the slip is about 30% with that prop?

A Solas 17 pitch aluminum prop would do better than that.

4750-5250 is your WOT rpm range

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Did anyone notice that the slip is about 30% with that prop?

A Solas 17 pitch aluminum prop would do better than that.

4750-5250 is your WOT rpm range

Nice catch something is wrong with the prop or setup..It should be noted that a Alum Solas will not perform with a Stiletto however and to the OP question the laser is raked and provides bow lift while the stilletto is cupped and known high grip prop and provide overall lift. You should post pics of your engine height...where is the cavitation plate in relation to the keel or bottom of the hull...along with the prop something is way off

jestor68

Commander

Tail_Gunner;4487762.It should be noted that a Alum Solas will not perform with a Stiletto f[/QUOTE said:
You're reading too much into my remark. I said that a Solas aluminum would do better than 30% slip. That's a fact.

And my experience is that the Solas would run right beside the S brand prop; right up to top speed, when the S brand would have probably a 1 mph advantage.

His prop has high slip because it's "stalling" from too much pitch, rake, and cup. It's actually the wrong design for that boat.

A good prop for that boat would be a Mercury vengeance type prop, or a Solas New Saturn.

PETE BUTZEN

Seaman

Hello again Guys ; I had a Slight Hart attack . But I am back . jestor 68 You said that I should look into a Mercury Vengeance . Would that be Stnls / Alm / And what pitch and diameter ? Thanks Pete