SOLAS PROP, differences & mounting

blueday

Cadet
Hi,

I purchased a Solas SS14x21 prop on Iboats for my 305ci Mercruiser w/alpha 1 drive. Old prop was a solas rubex 14.5x19 aluminum and was chewed up pretty bad. New SS prop slides on the splines of the outdrive but the nut/washer setup is different. What exactly do I need to make the new SS prop work and can I buy this stuff locally at west marine or similar?

Old aluminum Solas prop:

New prop?notice the splines sticking out from the prop slightly:

Side by side:

Thanks for any help

jestor68

Commander
Re: SOLAS PROP, differences & mounting

The Solas Rubes prop should come with all the (new) hardware needed for installation.

It looks like the only thing missing is the (separate piece) outer washer that slides on those exposed splines; the tab washer and prop nut.

That first picture looks like a Mercury prop with it's Flo Torque hub; which is different from a Solas Rubex hub. The Flo Torque is two piece, whereas the Rubex hub is one piece and uses the separate out washer.

MBAKER

Petty Officer 1st Class

It looks like the old prop was a square hub design with a replaceable insert such as the flo torque. The new one looks like a pressed rubber hub which will take a different castle washer on the outside to cover the splines and lock the nut in place.

jestor68

Commander

That's what a Rubex looks like when it's inserted in the hub. It looks perfectly normal. It just uses a separate out washer; that's all.

blueday

Cadet

I didn't state that the new SS prop is a New Saturn.

thanks for the information.

blueday

Cadet

Is this similar to what I'm looking for?

Last edited: