not enough splines on hub

cindi66

Recruit
i bought a propeller on ebay that matched my 1998 volvo penta sx cobra, BUT the propeller only has 15 splines and the shaft has 19. Can the hub be taken out of the propeller and a new hub with 19 splines put in....OR sell the ss propeller and are there buyers for 15 spline (part # 3850313)??

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: not enough splines on hub

HMS Hubs makes a 17 spline and 19 spline hub for the SX series. They also make a 15 spline hub that looks the same for Johnson. BUT---The Johnson hub has a rubber OD of 3.125 and the Volvo has a rubber OD of 2.7. SO: probably, maybe, but not likely, you will be able to re-hub. Contact HMS hubs for better help.

cindi66

Recruit

Why when i punch in the prop model#3850313, it says it is 19 spline, for volvo penta sx 1994 and newer, and i have a 1998 4.3 volvo penta sx .. So WHY is there a 15 spline hub inside???? It doesnt make sense.

SO: probably, maybe, but not likely, you will be able to re-hub.-what does that mean. It seems like I have the right prop with the wrong hub in it> So cant that hub be taken out at a prop shop with some "air" press?????

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Look: I don't know the prop numbers. Given the information that you first gave me it appears that you need more research. That's what probably, maybe, but not likely meant.

If you have the HMS catalog and can measure the inside diameter of the prop hub itself and it matches the outside diameter of the rubber hub, then yes, it would be reasonable to think that someone has already re-hubbed the prop to other than Volvo and yes, you should be able to go back to 19 splines. By matches, I mean the prop is the correct size to properly compress the rubber hub when installed.

IF you have a prop shop close by and can talk with them, then you may get a quick answer. However, sending the prop out without discussing exactly what you need is a recipe for disappointment. Make haste slowly.

Last edited: