Do harmonic prop pullers work?

I am new to iboats. Please point me in the right direction if this topic has been beat to death elsewhere on the site.
I have a 1989 MasterCraft Pro Star 190 with a propeller that has been in place for about 10 years. It was recently, slightly damaged and needs replacing. It is stuck on the tapered shaft good. I have loosened the prop nut and hammered on it a little to no avail. I have run it with the prop nut loosened a little to no avail. It is apparently time to fork over some dough for a c-clamp puller or a harmonic puller. A harmonic puller is about $50 dollars cheaper. If I buy one and it does not work then I am out even more as I will have to buy the c-clamp type. Will a harmonic puller work in every case without damage to the transmission seals? I have heard of cases where the prop is corroded in place to the point that it must be heated with a torch to remove. FWIW - the boat is stored in my garage year round and taken to the lake (freshwater only) for about 3 weeks out of the year. Prop is 13X13 NiBrAl.

Thank you in advance!

Pessemist

Seaman
Re: Do harmonic prop pullers work?

I am new to iboats. Please point me in the right direction if this topic has been beat to death elsewhere on the site.
I have a 1989 MasterCraft Pro Star 190 with a propeller that has been in place for about 10 years. It was recently, slightly damaged and needs replacing. It is stuck on the tapered shaft good. I have loosened the prop nut and hammered on it a little to no avail. I have run it with the prop nut loosened a little to no avail. It is apparently time to fork over some dough for a c-clamp puller or a harmonic puller. A harmonic puller is about $50 dollars cheaper. If I buy one and it does not work then I am out even more as I will have to buy the c-clamp type. Will a harmonic puller work in every case without damage to the transmission seals? I have heard of cases where the prop is corroded in place to the point that it must be heated with a torch to remove. FWIW - the boat is stored in my garage year round and taken to the lake (freshwater only) for about 3 weeks out of the year. Prop is 13X13 NiBrAl.

Thank you in advance!

If the prop doesn't have a rubber insert you can try taking a regular propane torch and heating up the prop hub. It'll expand and break the contact with the shaft. After heating lightly tap at the front of the prop with a mallet, working evenly around the circumference of the prop, should pop it loose.