Hustler Props, Any good?

Ccoe1

Cadet
Seem to be having some issues and I would really like to blame the cheap prop.

Searay 210 sundeck
5.0L V8 Carb.
Alpha 1 outdrive 1.62 gear ratio

I had a 14.25" x 21p 3 blade aluminum prop on it (brand new). It took a while to get up on plane and it would only top out at 4600 rpm around 43mph wot is 4800.

I replaced it with a brand new 14" x 19p 4 blade aluminum for water sports. Got up on plane a little quicker and wot was at 4000 rpm around 43mph.

I though a smaller prop and lower pitch was supposed to raise my rpm. Or is there something else going on.

Last edited:

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Hustler Props, Any good?

Chances are your new one is not cupped or the fact it is a 4 blade and not a 3 blade. But that should only drop 100-200 RPM

Ccoe1

Cadet

I thought dropping 2" in pitch even being 4 blade would still raise the rpm's a little. As for cupping, any prop recommendations.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

I run Turning Point Hustler on my boat and like them. It's not the prop brand so much as it is the pitch to go along with, 4 or 5 blades and or cupping. I run cupped blades but had to drop 2" in pitch to keep the rpms up and have any sort of a quick jump to a plane. The small amount of diameter you dropped shouldn't matter a bit either way.

My guess would be that your old prop wasn't cupped and had 3 blades but was nearly perfect for wot rpms. Your new 4 blade could be cupped causing a 400 rpm drop combining the two factors. Thing is I would think your speed should be lower too with the lower rpms.

That boat is probably very heavy, well over a ton without gear and people so I wouldn't think it would be a quick hole shot jumper to begin with. What year is the boat and the motor 230 HP?

Last edited:

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

I believe your original 21 pitch prop was simply damaged.

If your numbers are 100% accurate, your first prop gave you 24% slip, and the 2nd prop gives you 3% slip.

24% is dismally poor, and 3% is so awesome it is not realistically possible on a 21 ft deckboat/aluminum prop, therefore we know your numbers are not 100% accurate. The fact that you said "around 43" mph tells me you're relying on boat speedo, which are notoriously inaccurate.

If you verify tach and get GPS top speed, and that might answer more.

If your numbers are somewhat close, it does seem you had an EXTREMELY inefficient prop before that slipped like mad (this is why I believe it may have been chewed and dinged up?), and now you have a MUCH more efficient prop in the replacement.

And if/when you have confirmed your 2nd test rpm numbers are accurate, you might benefit from giong to 17" pitch prop of the same 4 blade brand/style you currently have, to get your RPMS back to where they should be. Holeshot will REALLY improve, and your top speed might go up a little bit also.

I once owned that exact same 1999 motor in a 20 ft runabout that weighed 2,600 lbs, and I ran a 21 pitch prop. Yours, being a 21 ft deckboat, spec here according to Searay is 3,500 lbs dry. With that much extra weight I do not believe you could realistically turn a 21 pitch prop with a 5.0L, and I would not be surprised if you need something close to a 17" pitch for proper RPM:
http://www.searay.com/boat_graphics/electronic_brochure/company1729/1C1_27_74DERNWXJ982.pdf

Last edited:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

In answer to your question concerning Hustler. Pull up their www and see for yourself. Like they state, they do everything that SS high performance props do in alum. I have one. Cost me 100 bucks from iboats.

Mark

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I notice also a 21 degree dead rise certainly not conducive to quick hole shot or for that matter blazing speed.
NADA also confirms 3500 lb dry weight. I too think a 17" prop would be a better fit.
Its also possible at 14 years old the motor may be a little tired.

oldjeep

Admiral

I had a couple Hustlers and the performance was good, but they are virtually un-repairable once you hit something with them. The 4 blade solas amitas are a better prop for around the same money as the hustlers.

Ccoe1

Cadet

I bought the boat this summer and I am still trying to get everything up to spec. The prop on it was severely damaged and they told me the 14.25" x 21P was stock. That's why I replaced it with the same thing. We are into water sports so I bought the 19p prop also hoping that was going to suffice. I am going to get it back on the water this weekend and get in to more detail with how its running with both props. I suspect the u joints are in need of attention, so I am going to have the outdrive gone over soon.
The boat has 334 hrs. and it was serviced by the a marina every year.

jestor68

Commander

What brands of props have you been using?

I ask because sometimes using different brands(different designs) can cause some unusual results(like yours).

If you run your numbers through the Mercury prop selector; it comes up with a 15 X 17 in 3 blade(al) and 15 X 16 in alpha 4(al); and says you should do 40- 41 mph at about 4600 rpm, which represents about a 11% slip.

So, only turning about 4000 rpm with a 4 blade 19 is starting to sound reasonable.

It doesn't seem likely you could turn 4600 with a 21.

Last edited:

Ccoe1

Cadet

The 3 blade is a black max and the 4 blade is a hustler.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

I would strongly urge you to make sure the motor is running at 100% peak before making a prop selection, or you'll be doing this all over again...

A boat being serviced by a marina every year sounds like someone who just paid to do oil changes and winterization every fall, and little else. Look back at actual records/receipts for true repairs completed and comprehensive tune-ups. I bet you'll find none. It's very possible this boat has not had a basic tune-up since brand new, since most boat owners who don't do their own maintenance tend to wait until a problem occurs to pay any extra on a boat that they perceive to still be "running fine..."

If still original, low hours are meaningless. After 14 years of high humidity exposure it is now long overdue for new plugs, plug wires, dist cap & rotor, engine alignment, timing check/set/verification of centrifugal advance function, carb adjustment/cleaning, etc. Compression check would be a nice bonus while you're right there. For all we know you might be dealing with something as basic as some corrosion on the distributor weights under the cap preventing timing advance. This is common, and it will turn a boat into a REAL dog and will release an extra 70+ horsepower once the corrosion is freed up...or maybe you're just running on 7 cylinders (the average person would NEVER feel this...it would be smooth as silk and just down on power.)

All that said...it might be running great and near it's peak. And it simply needs a good 17 pitch prop as most everyone here seems to think is the case based on your HP-to-weight ratio...a Black Max slipping at 24% has gotta be ventilating and is therefore probably a poor choice for your particular setup.

But any prop selection advice is always made assuming a boat is in 100% factory perfect running condition.

Also back to basics which many take for granted...not intended to offend but this is critical: Do you know how to use your power trim to achieve maximum top speed? This is very important when assessing how props work and when comparing them to each other. If you don't know, please ask and people here are happy to help teach...

Last edited:

Slip Away

Lieutenant

I had a couple Hustlers and the performance was good, but they are virtually un-repairable once you hit something with them. The 4 blade solas amitas are a better prop for around the same money as the hustlers.

And a 19 pitch 3 blade Michigan Wheel Vortex, or 14 x 20p 4 blade Michigan Wheel Vortex are even better choices than the Hustler or Solas.

Ccoe1

Cadet

I am very particular when it comes to trimming, I listen for sound and the feel while I am watching the tach. The engine is going to to get a very thorough tune up and the outdrive is going to get serviced, just for my own piece of mind.