Prop upgrade

nuffsaid

Seaman
So, I just wiped out my lower unit when I hit a rock in Canada fishing. The insurance is sending me a check and I think I will perform the repairs myself and treat myself to a upgraded prop. So here is the question: Boat is a 2008 Lowe 165 FM deep vee with a 2008 50 hp Merc two stroke. I run the boat a lot at high elevation lakes, so performance is keyed towards high elevation. My last prop was a Solas alumuninum 10 pitch 12 inch diameter and the boat performed well with this prop. When running in Canada at about 1200 ft above sea level the motor would pull about 5200 rpms with a normal load and would top out at about 27 mph. When I fish my favorite local lakes, elevation is 7000 ft and motor will pull about 5000 rpms. So, can I benefit from a stainless steel prop, three blade or four, same pitch or a little higher. I have run a 11 pitch solas aluminum before and it did pretty well, but would only pull about 4800 rpms at my favorite lake. I do a lot of trolling with this boat while fishing also.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Prop upgrade

I don't think you've got enough horsepower where a stainless prop would be a value to you. 150 hp motors surely need them--50 hp motors don't.

I switched to a stainless prop after destroying an aluminum prop every year. The stainless prop lasted me 10 years before I blew the motor out of my inboard outboard boat. They are more durable and not so easy to crunch on a rock bottom lake.

Go back with what you previously had if you're satisfied with its performance. Boating in high mountains often requires having two props--high elevation and low elevation.

jestor68

Commander

I recommend that you stick with the 10 pitch, but use the Mercury or Michigan prop that has a 11-1/4" diameter.

The 3/4" of diameter drop is like dropping nearly an inch of pitch and will gain you some needed WOT rpm to get you closer to the 5500 rpm limit and better all around performance.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I wonder if you may be able to improve your setup. The 165 "Fish Machine" is 875 lbs. Boats resembling yours some Lowes
seem to be running 11" and 12" props about 5700-6000 speeds about 29.
Your speed is surely within a reasonable range but 5200 is troublesome.
Are you carrying a lot of weight?

nuffsaid

Seaman

I ordered a Mercury Quick Silver 11.25x10 and hopefully this will give me a little more rpms. My boat typically has a 20lb anchor, full tank of gas (26 gallons) down riggers and fishing gear, electric trolling motor and two batteries and feels heavy. When I first bought it from Cabelas' it had a 15 pitch prop. The motor would rev to 4200 at a 4000 ft elevation lake. The 10 pitch x 12 was by far the best prop I have tried, but now learning that diameter reduction will gain me some more rpms, I think I made the right choice.