Volvo Penta 140 /w 280 drive prop change

john lyons

Cadet
I have a 1979 17' Glasply w/ a Volvo Penta 140a engine (125 hp). The boat runs good with 2 people in it but has
a hard time getting up on plane with more than 2. We have to sit on the front of the boat to get on plane. Once it is up it stays up. I have gone through all the maintenance on the boat ie... new plugs, wires, points etc.
My question is I am running A 14x17 prop which will run the motor to 5200 wot, would a 14X15 prop help with getting the boat on plane?
Any ideas?
John

jestor68

Commander
Re: Volvo Penta 140 /w 280 drive prop change

For good all around performance, it's recommended to prop a boat to run at or near the motor's top rpm with a light load(2 people) in order to assure adequate performance with a heavier load.

Since your motor's max rpm is 5500 rpm, that's where you want it with a light load(not 5200). So it follows that a 15 pitch prop should raise your WOT rpm 300-400 rpm; getting it very near the recommended max of 5500 with your typical light load.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

See if you can get us the gear ratio off the outdrive and the wot rpm and gps speed with a light load.
Did you do a compression check?Does the throttle open all the way?Do you trim down for hole shot?
Its my opinion, speaking generically, a 17 footer with 125 hp should do well with a 17" prop and only 2 aboard.
I would wonder if the boat has absorbed water over the years , 34 years, Poor winter storage or exposure at the dock
for extended time,let stand with water in the bilge.

phillnjack2

Ensign

Short answer to your question is definitely YES it would plane much faster and easier with less pitch.
But you might not need less pitch,just less diameter !!!!!!!!

Also are you using a long hub prop or a short hub prop ??????????
the props for volvo penta outdrives come in two types of hub length.
some are river/ cruising/moderate performance props (mainly the short hubs) and some are just for performance or the bigger
engined heavier boats (long hubs).

the propeller nut is a cone shape thing, sometimes it looks like there is a 1/2 inch alloy spacer on the cone, with a gentle tap
this spacer will seperate from the cone.(sometimes need a screwdriver in the slots to split it)
if there is no spacer then your probably running a long hub prop already. !!!!!!
DO MAKE SURE THERE IS A PLASTIC WASHER BETWEEN PROPELLER AND CONE/NUT...
(if there isnt one,then simply make one from the plastic lid of a butter container,its about perfect and cheap)
this stops the prop nut/cone from siezing to the prop .cut to outer size of prop hub...

14 diameter is probably whats causing your problem getting a good holeshot, might be better to find someone close to
you who will let you try a 13x 17 or a 13 x 19 even !!!!! these should give good pull away and good top end.

can you post a pic of the prop and prop nut/cone ( a close up will be good) !!!!!!!

phill

john lyons

Cadet

Thanks for all the information. The compression and throttle linkage were checked by the Volvo mechanic and are good. The boat has always been stored inside so the should be no water problem. It gets up on plane with 2 people pretty easily its with 3 or more that it has trouble.
Thanks again.
John

jestor68

Commander

Who makes a Volvo 280 prop of 13" diameter?

The smallest diameter I've seen is 14".

His Volvo 140A should have a 2.15 gear ratio (according to the owner manual available on the Volvo web site).

Last edited: