New hub in prop - still same problem

potthoffw

Recruit
I have a 1993 pontoon boat with a 93 evinrude 70 hp engine. My hub in my prop had spun and I had it redone. I broke it in just like I was supposed to. 45 min - 1 hr of just idling, forward, reverse, slowly speeding up, etc. Once I slowly got up to speed the alarm and engine shuttering started just like it had done previously. I talked to my uncle who knows a ton about outboards and his did the same before. It just wasnt set yet and to give it more time breaking it in. Opinions?

Thanks!

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander
Re: New hub in prop - still same problem

Are you SURE you have a spun prop, and not some other unidentified problem?

What did the prop guy say when you asked him about it? If it did indeed spin again on day one, it sounds to me like he didn't do a good job. I'd ask him to do it again assuming the prop shows no signs of impact.

In my experience prop hub break-in procedures are not the norm, and are a red flag of questionable re-hubbing procedures by that shop in my opinion.

Re-hubbed props should be ready to go full throttle from the moment you drop it in the water...

Last edited:

the alarm went off ? why do you think that's the prop. When I spun the prop the sign was the engine reved and the boat went slower it never juttered and the overheat/low oil alarm did not go off. Do you have water coming out of the tell-tale?

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer

^+2, something else, maybe fuel issue?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

With a spun hub the motor will rev and the boat would slow.
I don't know of any alarm that would go off from a spun hub.
You can check the hub;draw a waterproof line across the hub and body of the prop do a test run. If the line breaks you have a spun hub.

Pessemist

Seaman

I've had a fair number of prop hub failures.

The motor will act just like it 'popped' out of gear. Like everyone says the engine will suddenly over-rev and the boat will stop moving.

If the destroyed hub still 'catches' a bit as the shaft turns you might just be able to make a tiny bit oif headway at close to idle speed. But sometimes it is so badly spun on the shaft there is nothing left to grip of the hub and it just spins like it is out of gear.

There is no 'break-in' period for a new prop hub.

There is no 'alarm' that will sound for a spun prop hub.

The engine still runs perfect, it just is no longer connected to the prop. Rough running, sputtering, alarms (sounds like you are overheating maybe?) are NOT symptoms of a spun hub. Are you sure you don't have a bad water pump impeller? They can spin on the driveshaft as well.

potthoffw

Recruit

The shop did a test originally and said it was a spun hub. He said the alarm would be caused from reving too high. I originally thought it was a fuel issue myself. I guess I'll have to look into more of the fuel side of things.

It is definitely not overheating. Water is coming out of the spitter and it is a very strong stream. I replaced the impeller about 3 weeks ago, I serviced the lower unit, and now re-hubbed the prop. I am thinking it is a fuel issue but not sure because the engine never dies, always starts immediately, and never runs bad.

Basically what happens is I'll be cruising around 3500 rpm and about 2 minutes into the ride the constant beep alarm will go off. I turn off the engine. Turn it right back on (no alarm goes off) speed up and around 3000 rpms the engine will shutter and will not go higher than that. I dont push it, I'll turn it off again and then turn it back on and it runs fine for about 30 min or so and then does it all over again.

The engine only has 290 hours on it.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Last edited:

Pessemist

Seaman

The shop did a test originally and said it was a spun hub. He said the alarm would be caused from reving too high. I originally thought it was a fuel issue myself. I guess I'll have to look into more of the fuel side of things.

It is definitely not overheating. Water is coming out of the spitter and it is a very strong stream. I replaced the impeller about 3 weeks ago, I serviced the lower unit, and now re-hubbed the prop. I am thinking it is a fuel issue but not sure because the engine never dies, always starts immediately, and never runs bad.

Basically what happens is I'll be cruising around 3500 rpm and about 2 minutes into the ride the constant beep alarm will go off. I turn off the engine. Turn it right back on (no alarm goes off) speed up and around 3000 rpms the engine will shutter and will not go higher than that. I dont push it, I'll turn it off again and then turn it back on and it runs fine for about 30 min or so and then does it all over again.

A long time ago I rebuilt one of those engines. If I recall correctly the alarm will sound under one of 2 conditions: the engine is overheating or the oil injection system detects low oil pressure. Either condition will rapidly destroy the engine.

A fuel problem would not sound an alarm that I am aware of.

A engine staving for fuel (blocked vent line to tank etc) will run hotter and that may be setting the alarm off. There is also a condition called slow mode (not sure if yours has this) if the engine overheats it will restrict the rpm to 2500 while hot (restarting the motor may reset the mode). First thing to check is the engine to see if its getting hot due to a jammed thermostat or some other reason, If the engine is not hot then you may have a bad sensor that's making the alarm sound and possible causing a slow mode condition.

potthoffw

Recruit

A engine staving for fuel (blocked vent line to tank etc) will run hotter and that may be setting the alarm off. There is also a condition called slow mode (not sure if yours has this) if the engine overheats it will restrict the rpm to 2500 while hot (restarting the motor may reset the mode). First thing to check is the engine to see if its getting hot due to a jammed thermostat or some other reason, If the engine is not hot then you may have a bad sensor that's making the alarm sound and possible causing a slow mode condition.

You're exactly right. The engine was shutting down due to "S.L.O.W." mode kicking in. I think I am getting down the right path. I took the thermostat out today and it has never been changed. I am going to run it tomorrow without it and see if the alarm sounds. Next will be the sensor and in that case I'll be back asking more questions. Thanks for the info. You guys save everyone so much money!!

phillnjack2

Ensign

Ok i can see where the alarm going off bit comes into this very easy.
the alarm should of gone off when the guy told you the prop had a spun hub !!!!!!!!
the alarm should of been in your head telling you these guys are taking the **** and are just ripping you off big time.
There is no over revving alarm on the evinrude 70hp, there is an automatic rev limiter built in,but this would be around 6500rpm.
the shuddering would only happen at the prop if you hit something and if its alloy prop would bend a blade way
before destroying the hub.

the break in for the prop ha ha ha man you have really been taken in by a bunch of crooks big time.
do these people also sell Tartan paint and skirting board ladders ?
ive never heard such a load of bull**** in my life as running-in a prop ha ha ha .
ill see if i can remember that one for the future, its got to be in the classic files ha ha ha .

S.L.O.W mode does not cause shuddering, it just takes the revs down to let you get back to the dock in limp mode.

if your uncle thinks that the props need to settle in then i think maybe the boat shop just knew you would be as
gullable as your uncle.
he knows nothing about outboards if he thinks a re-hubbed prop needs to be bedded in.
does he think its glue drying ? or the new rubber is all wonky and needs to straighten out ?

the more i think about it the more i am wondering if this whole topic is a **** take.
running in a re-hubbed prop ha ha ha

I am sure i hear banjo's playing ?

phill