4.3 Mercruiser New Wakeboarding Prop

CHARGER2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Looking for a new prop, primarily for wakeboarding. I would like lower plane speed, better midrange performance, better hole shot, and more stern lift/less bow lift. Stepping up to 4 blades seems to cover all of these. I am not concerned about going faster but don't want to lose much on the top end. Current Prop is a 17" aluminum Mercury Black Max:

WOT RPM: 5,000 (Accurate Tach, target 4400-4800)
WOT MPH: 40 MPH (GPS)
Gear Ratio: 1.84:1
Slip: 9%

The Solas line of AL and SS Rubex HR4, and HR Titan 4 seem to get great reviews. Is there much incentive for me to jump to a SS? Also, would a 4 blade 19" be a little much for this motor to turn or should I stick with a 17" 4 blade?

I am also planning on putting on some smart tabs, but I am not sure how much that affects prop performance.

Regards,

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 4.3 Mercruiser New Wakeboarding Prop

why not just try the trim tabs first ? I hear that work well, I have not done it myself though

CHARGER2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the response. Regardless of how will the trim tabs work, I would like to reprop to bring the engine into the proper RPM range.

akorcovelos

Petty Officer 1st Class

trim tabs are going to lift the stern, which will kill your wake.

CHARGER2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would like to focus on the prop in this thread. I know the tabs will kill wake but I will use them only for skiing (retractable bracket tabs). Any feedback on the 17" or 19" SS or AL?

jestor68

Commander

It is generally suggested to reduce an inch of pitch when switching from 3 to 4 blade in order to maintain rpm. But since you are slightly over on rpm, I would suggest you stick with a 17 pitch for the 4 blade.

As far as aluminum versus SS; perhaps this example might provide some insight. PropPerformanceChart4-560x245.jpg

CHARGER2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Jestor. I will try a 17" Titan or Rubex 4 blade. One more question. I am reading conflicting answers. Does a high rake design (like the titan and rubex) have stern lift or bow lift? Everyone seems to say stern lift (which is what I am looking for) but a Solas video about the Rubex says it specializes in bow lift...

Regards

jestor68

Commander

The guy in the Solas videos is really referring to the extra cupping in the SS props providing more bow lift than the aluminum props. They should not be considered "bow lifters", like a Raker or Lazer.

The Solas "Scorpion" is the only "high rake" prop they market as a true bow lifter. That's the Solas equivalent of a Laser. :)

truckermatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

i would stick with aluminum, i have the same motor and use a quciksilver 4 blade 20 p

bunker108

Chief Petty Officer

Spinning 5K you could step up to a 17p 4 blade or even a 19p 4 blade. You have a 17p 3 blade now right? I just got a 4 blade Solas 19 for my caravelle 188 to replace a 21p for my 4.3 Volvo and the whole shot is great and plane speed reduced. I had 7 adult men on the boat and could get on step with ease. A four blad would be a great choice for you.

CHARGER2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I will start off with a SS 17". Depending on RPM's and performance, I may ebay the 17" and step up to a 19". Will report back with results. Thanks for the input everyone.