Thrust Washer Problem!

dwelch022

Seaman Apprentice
I ordered a new propeller for my 2000 johnson 150 V6. The new prop is a Michigan Wheel Vortex XHS #992003 with the universal hub kit. My old prop is also a Michigan Wheel but is not the vortex and the hub is already installed with the prop. The problem is that the new thrust washer that came with the kit does not fit onto my my shaft on the motor. So I'm wondering has anyone else had this problem? Would it be wise to use the old thrust washer that came with the old prop?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Thrust Washer Problem!

The problem is that the new thrust washer that came with the kit does not fit onto my my shaft on the motor. So I'm wondering has anyone else had this problem? Would it be wise to use the old thrust washer that came with the old prop?
Sounds like you have the wrong hub kit as in about 1993 they changed the propshaft diameter and the thrust washers . You dont want to use old washer as the plastic hub system have to compress a certain depth to work correctly....

dwelch022

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Thrust Washer Problem!

Sounds like you have the wrong hub kit as in about 1993 they changed the propshaft diameter and the thrust washers . You dont want to use old washer as the plastic hub system have to compress a certain depth to work correctly....

Thanks for the reply. You are absolutely right. After carefully examining the package that the hub kit came in, they gave my the one for outboards for 1976 - 1990. Thanks a lot!