I NEED SPEED!!! Prop question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChevyPower

Banned
I have a 72 Glassmaster with the 2.3 140hp. I took it on the lake today for the first time with my parents and their 3.0 135hp WAXED me on the water.

My prop is pretty messed up now. Looks like someone didn't care what they were running over :mad:

I know it's time for a new prop but have no idea what to get!! I see all these numbers with diameter and pitch and I have no friggin clue what any of this means or what setup would be best for me! I know I have three blades right now and they're screwed up.. that's it.

Can someone help me find a good setup so I can at least keep up with my folks!?

Your help is appreciated!

Triton II

Commander
Re: I NEED SPEED!!! Prop question.

C-P, some more info will help us to help you. What's the length and weight of your boat and the exact engine type. Also, when you say you "see all these numbers" can you tell us what they are if they're stamped on the prop hub, or do you mean you've seen "all these numbers" in various posts on this site?

If the numbers are on the prop somewhere, I'd start by going to a prop shop with the prop and see if they can repair the blades. If not the next step would be to borrow a prop with the same numbers. Generally they'll be something like 14 x 19 K which means the prop is 14 inches in diameter with a pitch of 19 inches - the K being the identifier for the shaft fitment. Let us know what your numbers etc are and it will help.

If the shop will lend you a prop to test it then see if the boat will achieve the lower end of its ideal WOT rpm range when heavily loaded and the top of its WOT rpm range when lightly loaded - if so the prop is about right. If the motor revs too high at WOT, then you need to go up in pitch, if too low you need to go down.

TII

Bondo

Staff member

I have a 72 Glassmaster with the 2.3 140hp.

Ayuh,... Tell Us what ya Really got,....

Merc never Ever used a 2.3l motor...

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

We'll be glad to help.
Please read the stickies at the top of the page and get us as much info as possible.
Prop size may be near the base of the blades or under the prop nut.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

according to me triton is right
Yes,and it is important we establish if the setup is working right.Sometimes a motor has problems,or the tach is wrong or the boat has problems.Without the priliminary numbers there is no way to know which way to go.

ChevyPower

Banned

Ayuh,... Tell Us what ya Really got,....

Merc never Ever used a 2.3l motor...

The previous owner told me Ford 2.3, I'm guessing maybe it's really a 3.0

@Triton - If I would've found those numbers stamped on the prop I wouldn't have posted in here. By "all these numbers" I mean all the different diameter x pitch setups. I'm pretty sure that a shop WILL NOT let me test out different props like you suggest. I guess I'll just ask someone at the marina shop, maybe they can help.

To clarify, the boat is a '72 Glassmaster 8 passenger 18ft with a Mercruiser 140 hp I/O

ChevyPower

Banned

Yes,and it is important we establish if the setup is working right.Sometimes a motor has problems,or the tach is wrong or the boat has problems.Without the priliminary numbers there is no way to know which way to go.

The tach doesn't work :/ The speedo read 32 mph WOT with 4 150ish lb adults.. The prop, to me, looks like the same prop on my other two boats size wise. I can find the diameter with a tape measure if that helps.

not enuf toys

Chief Petty Officer

unfortunately your not giving us too much to go off of. makes it hard to just say "x" will work.

we must have tach info to know how the boat is running. this will let us know less or more pitch then what you have currently....what do you have currently is also a must. look on the hub. usually stamped there.

we really want to help but your not giving us anything

45Auto

Commander

Don't be surprised if mid 30's is all it will ever do no matter how much money you throw at it .....

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

ChevyPower, the following information is absolutely mandatory in order for anyone to offer any type of recommendation to you:

1. EXACT peak RPM operating range of your engine...I assume you don't know this since you're not even sure what size your motor is. So if you provide us with exact and complete serial numbers from your engine and outdrive, someone here can probably decode it.
2. The pitch dimension of your current prop. This will be stamped somewhere on almost all props. You will often need to remove the prop to find the numbers. Whatever numbers you find, share them.
3. Your current RPMS when running at your top speed. (yes, this means you MUST have a functional tach hooked up)

If you cannot provide 1, 2, and 3 above, then you really have no option but to try locally at a local marina or prop shop. They can slap a random known prop on the boat, test drive-it (again, absolutely mandatory to do this with a functioning tach), see how it performs, and try another to move your RPMS in whatever direction you need to go.

I also strongly suggest, before you do any of this, that the boat be given an extremely comprehensive tune-up....points, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, adjust/set timing and carb, compression check, throttle cable adjustment etc etc etc. Buying a prop that is designed for a poorly tuned motor would be a waste of money.

Correct propping is 100% based on engine RPM. So without a tach you are 100% dead in the water...

ChevyPower

Banned

Got the tach working today.. 5,000 rpm WOT. The prop is original from 1972 and the serial number is no longer legible.

Tune up was recently done by PO.. supposedly. But the engine runs like it should. If I had tune-up issues I'm sure I would be able to tell regardless of what prop I'm running.

I'm giving you guys all I can. I also contacted the marina shop. They weren't cool with letting me test drive different props til I found the one I wanted.. figured as much.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Its very possible that a prop is not your solution.
The motor may have a problem,Perhaps as simple as the throttle isn't opening all the way.
Motor could have issues like bad valves,bad rings,timed wrong,running on 3 cylinders.
Boat could have problems,a hook in the bottom or it could have absorbed water in the hull or the flotation foam under the floor.The only way to tell whats up is a test run lightly loaded
Assuming everything is right a 18 footer should run about 40 mph and have a decent hole shot.When trimming up the boat should respond.Basically we have no info.
Perhaps your parents prop will fit your boat; get the tach fixed and make some test runs.
Having you read the stickies is so you know what we need in order to help you.
Its not like training 101 or something. If you just want to stab in the dark
On a healthy boat and motor a 17" prop should get you a good hole shot for water sports
but you may have to watch the max rpm ,oops what am I saying. A 19 should give good all around performance with slower hole shot. Less likely to over rev. but could lug.
If your likely to carry 8 often then the 17 is probably the better choice.

ChevyPower

Banned

Did you even read my last post?

THE MOTOR IS IN GOOD CONDITION! Sure a NEW 18 foot 3.0 should run about 40 mph, this boat and motor is 39 years old! The boat has a decent hole shot and planes like it should. I do not have bad valves or rings and I'd know if it were running on 3 cylinders. I do the maintenance on ALL of my vehicles, as a matter of fact, I just replaced the timing belt and water pump in my Ranger and set the timing afterwards. If I had problems with my motor I would be in a different forum posting a different thread.

I just took the boat out today, like I just stated, the tach read 5k at WOT and after adjusting trim I got up to around 34 mph. If you would've READ my post the current prop is, for lack of better words, SCREWED UP! It looks like someone put the prop on some pavement then turned the engine on, I doubt this is what actually happened.

I gave you guys ALL the info asked for with the exception of the prop's s/n.. so BASICALLY you have most of the info.

Any HELP would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mi duckdown

Commander

Rebuild the prop and Go Forward.
And you have No Pics?? of the prop?
SO What engine do you have?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Did you know that the HP ratings are very different and your 2.3 motor will never have a chance to pounce a new 3.0......... never. You just have to be happy with what you have or get a boat with a larger motor and a real modern outdrive. LOL I hope you never encounter the smallest Bayliner 175 with the 3.0 ......... you will never recover.

Fish Foot

Cadet

Take the prop off and take it to a repair shop. They will be able to tell you the specs on it and maybe evan repair it for cheeper than a new one.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

5,000 rpm is helpful information. But that's only one of the 3 things I asked for. We're still missing your motor's proper operating range RPM, and what your current prop is. Without that info, again nobody here can help you.

This is why you are spinning your wheels on the internet and getting frustrated. We're 17 posts in, and we still have only 50% of the information needed to even try to guestimate a prop for you.

It sounds to me like you are probably over-revving, likely due to the chewed up/damaged prop. I do not believe most of those old motors were set up to rev that fast. But if we don't know what prop you currently have, and what RPM you are supposed to be spinning, we can't suggest any props for you to change to.

As has been stated, it seems only a local prop shop can help identify your prop for you, and make an educated recommendation based on your current RPM.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Please keep in mind it takes me forever to write my posts and Im sure your latest post was up as I was writing.I'm guessing about 3 hours today with various interuptions. And why would a 39 year old 140 hp boat with a sound properly tuned motor run much slower the a newer boat. There are plenty of older boats posts that run in the high 30s and low 40s Suggesting your motor or boat may have prolems isn't a jab at you or your motor its just fact as these boats age.
You would be surprised what they can do for a prop. However if the prop is original repair may not be worth the investment. Your rpm and speed are both suspect due to the prop
condition.A prop shop still should be able to measure so you can have a size to start from.
By the way my info suggests the 2.3 and 3.0 use the same ratio. so hopefully you can manipulate the prop size to get the best performance. But I guess a 2.3 up against a 3.0
will struggle.You might have to slip a couple of bags of sand into your dads boat.
Both the old 2.3 and 3.0 have a slightly lower max rpm 4600 compared to 4800 for say a 2000 3.0.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

2.3 keeps being brought up. We still have no accurate idea what engine he's even trying to prop here...LOL

ChevyPower says he has a Mercruiser 140.
He has also said he has a 2.3 Ford.

These 2 statements are entirely contradictory, and they have contributed to great confusion.

If it is true that he has a Mercruiser 140, he simply does not have a 2.3. As Bondo pointed out early in this thread, Mercruiser Ford 2.3 simply does not exist. Mercruiser DID, however, use a 2.5, generally rated at 120 HP. And OMC used a 2.3L Ford. The old Mercruiser 140 was a 3.0 General Motors mill.

Status
Not open for further replies.