I NEED SPEED!!! Prop question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChevyPower

Banned
Re: I NEED SPEED!!! Prop question.

The previous owner told me Ford 2.3, I'm guessing maybe it's really a 3.0

I honestly don't know why 2.3 keeps being brought up. ^^ This was literally my second post. ^^
The reason newer engines would run faster than older ones is because of innovations in engineering over the years. Compare a 1972 Corvette with the same size engine as a 2000 Corvette and tell me which one runs faster.
I'll deal with this problem on my own terms. Thanks for the help anyways.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

ChevyPower;3333081[B said:
]I have a 72 Glassmaster with the 2.3 140hp.[/B] I took it on the lake today for the first time with my parents and their 3.0 135hp WAXED me on the water.

My prop is pretty messed up now. Looks like someone didn't care what they were running over :mad:

I know it's time for a new prop but have no idea what to get!! I see all these numbers with diameter and pitch and I have no friggin clue what any of this means or what setup would be best for me! I know I have three blades right now and they're screwed up.. that's it.

Can someone help me find a good setup so I can at least keep up with my folks!?

Your help is appreciated!

I honestly don't know why 2.3 keeps being brought up. ^^ This was literally my second post. ^^
The reason newer engines would run faster than older ones is because of innovations in engineering over the years. Compare a 1972 Corvette with the same size engine as a 2000 Corvette and tell me which one runs faster.
I'll deal with this problem on my own terms. Thanks for the help anyways.

You brought it up first! and here too http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=493653&p=3333014#post3333014 :facepalm:

ChevyPower

Banned

This is all completely redundant and absolutely off topic. I was obviously misinformed and mistaken. If you would read BOTH the post I made AND the other thread I created, you will realize I wrote that BEFORE I found out what type of engine my boat actually has!!

So if you're done stating the obvious, we can all move forward in a productive manner. Craze1cars, now you see why the internet can be so frustrating. I keep spinning wheels and they keep throwing water on the pavement.

I'll just do what I should've done in the first place.. Remove the prop and take it to a professional to get some REAL advice.

Thanks for nothing iboaters :/

Triton II

Commander

C-P, I don't understand your last comment at all. In post #2 of this thread (i.e the FIRST reply to your request for help) you were advised (by me who lives 12,000 miles away and at least 15 hours ahead of you in time) to take the prop to a prop shop. That's what iboats can do for you - offer free advice 24/7. Despite your lack of gratitude as witnessed throughout this thread, but especially in the post immediately above, I for one hope you get your problem sorted and enjoy your boating.

TII

fishrdan

Admiral

So if you're done stating the obvious, we can all move forward in a productive manner.

I find this and several of other comments very rude and insulting to the people who are trying to help you solve your problem! Step back a bit, provide the information they request and let them help.

Your 72 140HP (3.0L) will never equal a modern 135 HP 3.0L Mercruiser/Volvo. The old 140HP was rated at the crank where the new 135HP is rated at the prop, if the old 140Hp were rated at the prop it would be about 120-125HP.

5000RPM is way too high for that old engine, you should be turning between 4200-4600RPM WOT. (Even the modern 3.0L should only turn 4800RPM WOT) If your tach is accurate, you need a higher pitched prop.

With an old 18' glass boat and a 140HP engine I wouldn't expect more than low-mid 30's. Not only is the modern 3.0L engine more powerful, your parents boat is probably a faster hull too.

I agree with SS for a "shot in the dark" recommendation, 17P for hole shot and watersports, 19P for top end speed with slower hole shot.

BTW, I'm running a 72' 140HP Mercruiser in my 18' boat and use a 19P prop, this gets 33-34mph on the dash speedo with the engine turning 4300-4400 RPM WOT. Your results will probably be different.

Bondo

Staff member

This is all completely redundant and absolutely off topic. I was obviously misinformed and mistaken. If you would read BOTH the post I made AND the other thread I created, you will realize I wrote that BEFORE I found out what type of engine my boat actually has!!

So if you're done stating the obvious, we can all move forward in a productive manner. Craze1cars, now you see why the internet can be so frustrating. I keep spinning wheels and they keep throwing water on the pavement.

I'll just do what I should've done in the first place.. Remove the prop and take it to a professional to get some REAL advice.

Thanks for nothing iboaters :/

Ayuh,.... Sure,...

IF you'd just answer these simple questions, providing enough Info to Help ya....

If you can't supply the needed Info, Nobody can Help ya..... :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.