Trying to remove prop from volvo penta 280

GeorgeN

Cadet
Please help.............no experience here.

I have removed the locking screw with an allen wrench and the threaded cone. Under the cone was a large spanner type washer which lifted out. The next thing as is appears is the prop itself. Do I need some sort of puller to remove the prop from the prop shaft or should the prop simply pull off? It seems pretty tight and looks as though it may call fall a puller of some kind, but I'm not sure. Thanks for any suggestions, George Santee, CA

GeorgeN

Cadet
Re: Trying to remove prop from volvo penta 280

Thanks dgarner, but the link you sent me came up as an invalid link when I tried it. Could you please check to see if you typed it correctly? Thanks George

GeorgeN

Cadet

Thanks got the link and was able to access manual. Still no info on actually removing my prop after locking screw and cone are removed. The prop is not sliding off the prop shaft spline. Does anyone know if I need a special puller? Thanks, George

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like you've got all the parts removed and the prop should theoretically pull off. You might try a little heat, but be careful to not heat it up too much. Also, you can try gently tapping the base of one of the blades to see if it will budge. Once you get it off, before you put it back on, be sure and apply some grease to the prop shaft.

GeorgeN

Cadet

Thanks am_dew will give that a try and will definitely put some good quality grease on the shaft once the prop comes off. All help greatly appreciated George Santee

rkcarguy

Cadet

Thats correct, it should just slide off.
You can CAREFULLY try to pry between the round zinc anode and prop's hub with a WIDE screwdriver or prybar to see if it pop's loose. If the tool starts to dig into the metal, stop. The prop is likely seized on and you can try putting the drive up and soaking the spline area in penetrating oil overnight and try again. Then a puller and/or heat...then you might end up having to cut the prop off if no luck.

EdNorman

Recruit

That is the same problem I have I removed the center locking screw but I can't get the cone to budge. Any suggestions? This is my first attempt to replace the zinc in 10 years I've had my boat.

wellcraft19

Petty Officer 1st Class

Put a piece of wood (2x4) between the propeller(blade) and the drive. Use a long screw driver or a metal rod and stick it through the hole in the propeller cone. Un-twist (counter-clockwise), but be careful as not to damage a blade.

But if you never removed the prop in over ten years, I fear you'll have much more trouble actually getting the prop off, compared to just the cone.