Which Prop? 40 hp Evinrude

Intermediate Mariner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Which Prop? 40 hp Evinrude

Thanks Steel!

I figured I can add the cup later since we have a prop shop here local.

The props I have are 10-3/8X12-1/2 so I hope the 13-1/4 is enough but I bet I'll need the cup. I seen around 200 rpm's per inch and this motor seems to rev way more than 200, possibly closer to 1000! Thats why I thought get the 14. The 12-1/2 performs very poorly.

Going back to the front: I pasted a photo from the brochure below. You notice the front... thats how these boats are, there is nothing out of the ordinary up front. The dip is part of the hull.

Attachments

• iboats.jpg
    iboats.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 1

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

NO, No, No! That's just the way it appears from the angle of the photo in the literature. Again, NO boat is ever designed with a hook in the keel--at least a hook that bad and in that position. On your hull, the keel should be (almost) perfectly straight from stem to stern. (I have seen a number of hulls that end the keel somewhat forward of the transom but again all have had straight keels.)

And, no boat is ever really free. Oh, you may acquire one without spending money, but one way or the other you will pay for her.

I had to search a bit, but notice how because of the photo angle, this boat also appears to have been designed with a hook in the keel about midship? It is perfectly straight.

Attachments

• 101_0238.jpg
    101_0238.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 0

Intermediate Mariner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the input Frank but the hull is straight... it may just look that way in photos.

UPDATE:
The prop came in from propco (but watch those guys... they have one price on their website and then it's $20 higher and they say that their server uploaded the wrong price list but when you check back in a week the price is still wrong... use caution when ordering).

The 13-1/4" pitch prop helped ALOT (I should have ordered the 14 but he talked me out of it... I plan to add a cup now which as I understand adds pitch).

I believe it may be cavitating. It seems to need to be in the water more. Take a look at this video. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zfClpS7uEI) You will notice the anti-cav plate is just above the water which may mean that the prop is turning the surface water and mixing with air? ALSO: The side water inlet is OUT of the water so thus I also have no spray at high speed.

Thanks!