Monark King 175 with 115 Merc 4 stroke mounting height

rickfmurphy

Recruit
Hi all,

I have been experiencing a lot of hull lift when boating at low speeds, especially when baoting with infant, pulling a tube, or pulling a wakeboard.

I have been reading a lot of information on this forum as well as asking dealers, boat accessory shops, and mechanics. There seems to be a few different options/opinions for me to improve my front end lift while family boating at slow rates.

My set-up is the following
2004 Monark King 175
2003 Mercury 115HP 4-stroke EFI
15P Solas aluminum 3 blade prop
WOT is approximately 6050, achieving rouhgly 40mph.
Anti-ventilation plate is same height as bottom of keel.
Motor mounted as low as possible on transom

After reading the forums and asking questions at local dealers, mechanics, and accessory shops, it appears I have 4 options:

1. Raise motor one or maybe even two hole positions (recomended by Merc tech service after explaining my situation, but not by the local mechanics or dealers)
2. Install trim tabs (recomended by dealer)
3. Install SE Sport hydrofoil (recomended by local accessory store owner)
4. Try four blade prop (something I have been wanting to do anyhow)
Fifth option is to do nothing and live with what I have.

The Monark King 175 is a deep V style boat. The boat rides well at higher speeds.

My goal is to decrease the hull lift at low speeds with little concern of the top speed, we rarely go over 30mph. Does anyone have any experience with this set-up? Or does anyone have any strong opinions on how any of the options would help?

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Monark King 175 with 115 Merc 4 stroke mounting height

You can raise the motor for free and see how it handles and I would do this first to maximize the set up even if I were looking for other options. My next suggestion would be trim tabs, either smart tabs or one of the adjustable brands like bennetts depending on how much imput you want to put into the ride. I am not big on the hydrofoils as they add stress to the transom, but on some boats they have worked well. I would not buy a new prop unless you just want one since your old prop seems to be doing OK for now. If after you raise the motor it starts to over rev but does not cavatate and still pumps water then make a good educated guess as to which prop you might want to try next. Hwsiii can help you with prop selection if you give him all of your information after you have maximized the set up.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Describe what you mean by "hull lift". Normally hull lift, as in the whole hull lifting straight up, is a very good thing. Are you refering to excessive bow lift?

rickfmurphy

Recruit

I can't even believe I wrote "Hull Lift". I thought about that this morning as I was getting ready for work. You are right, I meant excessive "bow lift".

Sorry and thanks...

junior1113

Senior Chief Petty Officer

4 blade all the way. good ones have stern lifting characteristics witch cancels most bow lift. hydrafoils suck stress transom. trim tabs will help greatly. would start with 4 blade then see if you want tabs. as far as lifting motor. 1-2 inches up should really help out performance. rpms might go up. i would look into a good ss 15" 4 blade of course little rpms will be lost but should be gained on motor heght. better hole shots. better accel., better fuel eccomony, slower on plane speeds, stronger reverse, most cases gain top end. 4 bade and smart tabs will make that boat a lot smoother and more effieciently running.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

You might chack out the Turning point Hustler while not a 4 blade it does deliver close to ss performance at aluminum prices about $90 including a free hub.May allow even more height.

rickfmurphy

Recruit

4 blade all the way. good ones have stern lifting characteristics witch cancels most bow lift. hydrafoils suck stress transom. trim tabs will help greatly. would start with 4 blade then see if you want tabs. as far as lifting motor. 1-2 inches up should really help out performance. rpms might go up. i would look into a good ss 15" 4 blade of course little rpms will be lost but should be gained on motor heght. better hole shots. better accel., better fuel eccomony, slower on plane speeds, stronger reverse, most cases gain top end. 4 bade and smart tabs will make that boat a lot smoother and more effieciently running.

Can you suggest a four blade prop that would give me the desired stern lift? I am currently considering a Solas Amita 4blade 15P prop. However, I am considering raising the motor one position first to find out if the WOT remains near the same. I may need to adjust Pitch if it changes.