How do I determine my current propeller's pitch?

Sprytlejake

Cadet
I just bought a 1989 fiberglass Tracker 1600TS bass boat with a 90hp Tracker Evinrude. The hole shot takes forever and the boat porpoises like crazy. I've been investigating trim tabs, but I'm also thinking about changing out my prop. The problem is that the stamp on the prop is unreadable (I suspect it's the factory original SS prop). Is there a way that I can measure my prop to figure out what size and pitch it is?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: How do I determine my current propeller's pitch?

On the inner hub of the prop where the spacer, and prop nut go, it should be clearly stamped

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

If you can't read it, take the prop to a prop shop. They will have a pitch gauge and can tell you very quickly what the pitch is.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

As said, if you can't make out the numbers take it to a prop shop. Sounds like you may have more serious issues than the prop though.

krogie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

on all the props i have installed or replaced the size and pitch was inscribed on the inside of the prop , so you have to remove it.
:redface:

crxess

Chief Petty Officer

Did you try trimming your motor out a bit? Porpoising is normally from a bow down attitude. That would also slow the hole shot.

Sprytlejake

Cadet

Did you try trimming your motor out a bit? Porpoising is normally from a bow down attitude. That would also slow the hole shot.

Actually, I've just been running it with the motor trimmed all the way down. Are you saying I should RAISE the motor?

krogie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if your boat is porpoising and you have the right prop for the engine/boat combo then you would need to trim the motor down ( the prop closer to the transom ) to stop this problem , not trim up further. you will find the sweet spot by just listening to the engine.