185 bayliner prop recomendations

snoop03

Cadet
i have a 2008 185 flight series bayliner. It has a 4.3L 190hp mercruiser engine. The prop now is a factory aluminum prop 13 1/4 x 23 pitch. I would like a prop that would give me a lot of pulling power on hole shot to pull skiers out of water without sacrificing to much top end. I do about 50 right now with a 3 or 4 person load. wide open throttle is 4800 rpm. it has the alpha one lower unit. It is 18' and weighs about 2300 ibs. any help is appreciated

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 185 bayliner prop recomendations

The prop you have is a 13 1/4? Or a 14 1/4" diameter? If it's 13 1/4" diameter the gearcase is a 4 1/4". The reason is that if you have the larger 4 3/4" gearcase the 4 blade OT style props will work well. If you have the smaller of the two gearcases the OT props won't vent to let you spin up.

snoop03

Cadet

Im sorry i had that wrong it is 14 1/2 i think Where can u find the diameter at?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If you're running the standard V6 style prop you have the standard V6 style case at 4 3/4". That's good, the OT style props will work - providing your exhaust still goes out the drive & thru the prop. Not many V6's have thru transom exhaust though.

Those OT props should work pretty well for pulling and still not lose a lot on top. There were a couple on Ebay and ioffer. Let me know if you need help finding one.

snoop03

Cadet

Thank you very much what do you think about the high 5 im just wondering because i heard a lot about it.. What pitch and diameter prop in the 4 blade ot?

snoop03

Cadet

And also im guessing the spin is clockwise? Im new at boating as you can tell lol

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I'd assume your drive is a standard right hand rotation. Send me a pic of your prop and I'll see - that's a good point though.

I've found that if you find a rig that the High 5 works on, they work pretty well. Mainly on outboards where you can raise the motor to get the prop up some.

The OT props are usually a 13 3/4" diameter. The pitch will depend on what brand, they can vary in performance. Naturally a lot depends on what make & style prop you have now.

snoop03

Cadet

OK i cant find OT what does OT stand far. And The prop i have is made by Mercury it is the oem prop 23 pitch. model # 832854A45P23 if that helps and it is right hand and through prop exhaust.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The OT means over/thru hub exhaust. The barrel of the prop is slightly smaller so when you take off some exhaust passes over the blades to create some venting. As the rpms come up the exhaust all goes thru the prop just like yours does now.

snoop03

Cadet

i got ya thanks for all the help. So now if i were to go on ebay or ioffer what should i look for... Pitch also?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

That 13 3/4 x 23 is hubbed for a Yamaha but will fit on your Mercruiser outdrive. You'll need a Yamaha thrust washer. I also sent you a PM.

snoop03

Cadet

i did not get the pm but i do see one on ebay 13 3/4 by 23 could i go with more pitch r will it be too much?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

You could go with more pitch if you like. I thought you were after pulling power rather than top end. Depends on what you're looking for.

snoop03

Cadet

o well i thought more pitch like 21 r 19 would be more hole shot? I dont know though so you think that 13 3/4 by 23 would be my best bet on getting the right prop for my boat without going over rpms and have a lot better hole shot then i do now? And what about the thrust washer can you let me know what i need for that and where to get it
I promise this is the last question lol

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I hope it's not the last question! Anyway, the more pitch you use the further forward (in theory) the prop will move forward. Prop travl is measured in inches - your prop will travel forward 23" per revolution with 0% slip. Basically the more pitch you have the more bite you have and the more hp it takes to turn that prop. Less pitch = easier turning.

1badhusky

Seaman

Hey Snoop - did you get a good prop solution? I have pretty much the same set up, though mine's the 2007 w/ the mpi engine - but thinking the exact same thing as you - want a better hole shot and ok w/ losing a little top end to get it.

What did you end up doing for prop and have you had the chance to try it out?

BTW, I just tried a ProPulse on mine and it did NOT work well at all.

fossill

Chief Petty Officer

I got a similar boat size/year and engine/prop combo as your boat. The oem prop was stamped 14x23. Must be a generic size for that boat size/engine combo.
I went with a merc aluminum 4 blade 14x20 pitch. Works great for general watersports activites on my boat. I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on stainless steel props as I dont use my boat enough to justify the added expense.

1badhusky

Seaman

I got a similar boat size/year and engine/prop combo as your boat. The oem prop was stamped 14x23. Must be a generic size for that boat size/engine combo.
I went with a merc aluminum 4 blade 14x20 pitch. Works great for general watersports activites on my boat. I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on stainless steel props as I dont use my boat enough to justify the added expense.

Thanks for the input. I was thinking 14x21 4 blade. Before the propulse I tried out prosploded, that's what it was set at, and I really liked how smooth it was and how well it put the boat up on plane - and then it blew up before I could see what it was like at wot. Before that, it was a nice improvement.

Not sure if 20 or 21 is the best way to go, but already ordered it, so I guess 21 is the way i'm going.