Prop hub kit installation

tuneball

Cadet
Just wondering if anybody knows if you need a special press or something in order to install a new hub kit in an existing prop. And if there is particular way in doing it. I spun the hub in my prop over the weekend and want to install a replacement hub myself. Is it tough to do? Any information regarding this procedure would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

tuneball

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Prop hub kit installation

Just like anything it's simple if you have the right equipment. Now, we're assuming your prop has the old style pressed in rubber hub. It's not a prop that accepts the new style push in type hub kits like a Flo Torq or T-Lok etc.

If it's the press in old style then you'll need a press. I believe you need about 15 ton pressure, not quite sure. Then you need the inset cone and whatever chemical they use to start it in. You'll also need a way to clean out the remains of the old hub once you press it out. The guys I watched do it used a glass beader.

And naturally the hub itself. Most manufacturers will only sell hubs to prop shops.

tuneball

Cadet

What exactly is an inset cone??? And what does this chemical do, where is it applied?

STIguy

Cadet

Sorry to partially hijack your thread here :redface: I could use some info too.

I just ordered a new prop and hub kit for my motor... are there any special tools involved in installing them?

I didn't think it was going to be that complicated.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The cone is a taperd cone the compresses the rubber on the hub as it goes in. I suspect it also centers the hub. The chemical (I assume) makes the rubber slipery so it goes in easier and then perhaps disapates or turns to glue. I've watched it done but never got into the details, it was easier to let them do it.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If it's the push in style hub, not the pressed in style, then it simply pushes in. With a Flo Torq or similar hub kit I coat the rubber with soap and it slides right in. The old style pressed in hubs are different.

krakatoa

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hope this helps

http://www.propline.com/Propeller-General-Information/Propeller_Installation.htm

prop.gif

tuneball

Cadet

Thanks for the info. guys, much appreciated, I actually found a guy that does it for $20, I'll bring it to him and watch how he does it, for next time.

Thanks again

tuneball

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

That's an amazing price. The hub costs more than that. If he needs more work, let me know. I'll send him all the props I need rehubbed.