prop will not fit different thrust hub washer?

betayv

Senior Chief Petty Officer
hi there I purchased a prop from solas part#1513-140-21 my boat is a 1980 mercruiser 260hp engine alpha one drive the prop will not fit If I install the prop with the same thrust hub washer that was there before will no let me put the prop nut, I call solas and they say i need another thrust washer but all the ones I look are the same what I have any ideas thanks.

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: prop will not fit different thrust hub washer?

Will the prop nut go on, but you can't get it low enough to get the cotter pin in? Is the prop getting onto the washer down on the outer ring? Or hanging up on the pilot "shelf"? Picture?

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer

i think i kno what you need, u need that other outer specer with little grooves on it, which slid over the outer shaft its not a big deal you should be able to get it .

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer

i think you need a brass castle washer do a search on google.

betayv

hi there guys let me show this diagram
http://mercstuff.com/waterpumpinst.htm

first pic that show the prop and the prop hardware the piece (F) thrust hub if i use the same then the piece (C) and the (A) will not have any space to tie the nut So what im thinking is if they make a thrust hub piece (F) in diferents thickness?. thanks.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Sometimes C is cast into the prop. Possible?

betayv

nopo and is really weird I call solas tech support and they told me to get a different trust hub (F) but all the ones I found are the same thickness!!!

QC

Supreme Mariner

Do any of the threads extend to where you could get a thin nut on it? I had to run a very thin nut on my torque shift . . .

betayv

no no thread at all...

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

that is strange. If you're near a dealer, you might take pics and stop by the parts counter.

I will try to remember to look at mine tonight. I have both a solas prop and an alpha drive (one drive on the boat, and another with no prop on it in the kitchen). I do seem to recall having to swap washers around to get the solas to fit the way i wanted it to, but had whatever I needed on hand. It was last year so I don't remember off the top. I'll share what I have if noone else posts an answer.

betayv

hi tim thanks yes is strange and I called solas yesterday and today and like you said they recommend a different washer but this afternoon Im going to the boat to take the washer that was there before I want to be sure is not the same size of the solas, they guy from solas said the washer from the is 3/8 of a inch so I want to check the one I have in my boat. You know whre can I buy thrust washers on diferents sizes?thanks.

gene8084

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hi there guys let me show this diagram

Yes. What's the thickness of your existing Thrust Washer/Hub?

I just replaced my Prop. I had the same problem. The thickness of my Hub was ~7/8 inch. Apparently these were changed years ago. I purchase one about half the thikcness for $27 and it worked out pefectly.​

If your stuck call Petzold's Ship Store. Phone# 860-342-1196

Describe what you have and they can probably help you out.​

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds like if you stop by the local merc dealer thay'll have the right one. I just checked and my titan 4 fits just right with the thinner washer...

betayv

hi there guys I went to two dealers today and I dont know both of them show me the same trhust hub washer that I have just in case the part number mercruiser is 318841, sierra 184220 the size is 3/8 tomorrow I will take pics and show mi situation I will call solas and get my money back the tech support department is really bad I will keep you inform.:mad:

QC

Supreme Mariner

Take a look at this iboats page about 3/4 of the page down it shows the 318841 as an OMC part number . . . The Merc one is a 12-835467, I have one on my desk and it measures a total thickness of 3/8 and the pilot "shelf" reduces the working thickness to 3/16 . . . ;)

PM me, I have few of these if you want one . . . Even one that is worn a little thinner.

betayv

hi there QC I just bought a washer the same number you gave me I will try I will post back tonight thanks again.

betayv

hi there I want to say thanks to all the people help me with my prop problem finally WE solve the problem thanks QC that was the right thrust washer thanks again I will post pictures.

krakatoa

No Pics yet?

betayv

hi there hey questions how I post pictures? so I can show you guys how look.

nlain

Commander

Host the pictures on photobucket.com, size them to 640X480, when you open a pic in photobucket look on the right side of the pic and you will see some code links, use the bottom one IMG CODE, left click it then right click, left click copy, come to the thread and right click, left click paste, the link will appear and when you post the pic will be in your post.