Replaced Prop - now it hits the trim tab

Saxman

Seaman Apprentice
I replaced my 15x17 propeller (Merc 5.7 I/O) with a 14.25x17 (with a hub kit) - and now the ends of the propeller hits the trim tab - just above the propeller.

I though that 14.25 was actually smaller and would have MORE clearance.

Should I just make a small notch in the trim tab for the clearance and be happy? I wanted to take her out today.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Andrew

Saxman

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Replaced Prop - now it hits the trim tab

I think I found my own answer at http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=196073&highlight=prop+torque - it looks like these newer props have a greater angle requiring a smaller trim tab.

Got a reply from Hustler, very prompt and courteous, that's nice to see.
They say that their hub is supposed to fit on top of the step on the thrust washer, and that the rake on these are much more than the stock units, and you have to replace the trim tab.

Quote:

"Yes, the propeller will strike the trim tab on Alpha One ...Reason being is the TP prop you purchased is a higher rake, more aggressive, and better performance propeller then your OEM aluminum. All performance props are constructed similarly. Mercury has made the replacement trim tab
(822777A1 or 76214AS) for its high rake design propellers. You only need to ask for 'high performance' trim tab from any Mercury dealer, they know what you talked about.

The fit on thrust washer is not the cause of the blade hitting trim tab. Our props are designed to fit against the flat surface instead of over the step."

So there you have it, sorry to raise the alarm, this is my first boat, and I wanted to be prepared in case of failure, so I 'm glad I discovered this on dry land instead of in the water stranded!

This is a great forum, again thanks for the help!

Cheers!
Rick

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

You have several options: remove it completely, cut a notch in it with about 1/4" clearance, get a Quicksilver thin one, or get one of the really offset ones that I think are for sale here.

Your steering type will help you decide. If you have straight manual steering you probably need to get one and set it up correctly.

We batted the Hustler mounting thing pretty good a couple of weeks ago; that specific issue of mounting to the thrust washer. I think they missed something on this one.....but they decided their design works and tells you so, so who am I to badger them. I just keep my Hustler in the shipping carton I received it in so nothing happens to it.................bout all it's good for as far as I'm concerned.

Mark

Saxman

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, Mark. I filed the fin a bit and all seems well. I'll report back with how our run goes tomorrow (today).

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like the right answer to me as when I ran my Hustler (the only time) I trimmed mine too. Made no difference to the steering.

Mark