What prop do I need?

bigfatdaddy

Cadet
I recently purchased a 1978 35HP Evinrude. The first trip I bent the prop. Can you tell me the info that I need to replace it. Is stainless really worth the extra expense. I just river fish in a john boat. Thanks.

CarlR

Cadet
Re: What prop do I need?

I only run my boat in a river, and have been told to stick with aluminum props.
The reasoning was it was better to damage the prop, than have the prop transfer that engery to the shaft, where it may break. Just my opinion though.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Carl's absolutely right. Stainless prop on river boat equals trashed gearcase. When you hit something, something's got to give. If it isn't the prop, it's the gears. Props are a whole lot easier to swap and tend to be cheaper too. Plus you can rebuild a prop. I've seen props with whole blades busted off and the motor survived. I've seen stainless props with minimal damage and absolutely destroyed gearcase guts.

PropMD.com

Cadet

not to be too contraversial (sp?)........but SS IMO is now the way to go. With the new break away style hubs they will:

- protect your prop shaft from damage by having an engineered design shear force
- no spin like std rubber hubs after years of use
-heat resistant....with the new HO and 4 strokes that put out excess exhaust heat thus prematurly spinning rubber hubs (although not a factor in this case)
- give better long term performance because they will not nick with every wood stick that you hit in the water.

aluminum prices are coming down with the advent of the import props, but I would rather put one on and spend my time fishing that continuing to rebuild the prop!