Evinrude prop questions

jglad

Seaman Apprentice
I bought this 1968 Evinrude 55hp last year and when I got it, there were no thrust washers or spacers on it; just the prop, crown nut and cotter pin.

How important are those missing pieces and if they are needed, where can I get them?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Evinrude prop questions

If you don't have the thrust washer, the prop will bore itself into the gearcase. :eek:

Yours might need a somewhat unusual one. Most are tapered, but I'll bet your porpshaft has a shoulder instead of a taper. The part number is 313925 for the thrust washer and 314504 for the spacer under the nut. You'll have to get those through a Johnson/Evinrude dealer.

jglad

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Evinrude prop questions

If you don't have the thrust washer, the prop will bore itself into the gearcase. :eek:

Yours might need a somewhat unusual one. Most are tapered, but I'll bet your porpshaft has a shoulder instead of a taper. The part number is 313925 for the thrust washer and 314504 for the spacer under the nut. You'll have to get those through a Johnson/Evinrude dealer.

OK, that's what I needed to know!

Thanks for the help and I am off to Twin City Outboard to get those parts, so I don't wreck my gearcase. :)