Mercury props

dabalone

Seaman
Thaughts on mercury ss props? Many different models and the reason I ask is Mercury has a program with participating dealers allowing you to try props before buying, I just happen to have two of those dealers close to me. Also since I am not much into speed performance area what are your thaughts on the 4 and the 5 blade mercury props.

I have some issues with my boat setup and have posted in this forum earlier, still working my way slowly to get set up correct but am letting dealer take care of some probs first, steers like a tank requiring two hands to get it turned around even on plane. It is unacceptable and they have already replaced the steering helm once.

Thank you for any advice.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Mercury props

More than 3 blades allows higher mounting height. Higher mounting height pulls the trim tab out of the water. Trim tab out of the water wipes-out its effect on steeering torque neutralization. You might find you need hydraulic steering the more you squeeze speed out of your set-up. Regarding which prop will be best is all up to your preferences and trial and error. The guys with the props will be just as good at ballparking what you want and will be just as able to help with your questions as us, but the only final answer will come with actual testing.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercury props

Just be considerate and don't ding up the test props. Might find there's a penalty. Even if you have to spend more for the prop that is the only way to get it right and satisfy yourself.....ask me, I'm into my 4th prop on the current boat.

Mark