'92 evinrude 40hp

ksucat

Recruit
Hello,

Newbie here with a question. Just bought my first boat and the prop is a little banged up. There is a chunk out of one blade and the other blades are dinged up. So I am looking at getting a new prop. My RPM's are running right about 4500 WOT and my recomended ranged is 4500 to 5500. The prop on now is the original prop 11.75 X 17 which is also what the book recomends.. Since the RPM's are running so low I was thinking about going to a 12.25 X 15. Oh yeah my boat is a 17 ft bass tracker, and I am getting up to about 27 mph. What do you guys think? Should I stick with the same size prop or change like I am thinking?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: '92 evinrude 40hp

Not an expert but::
Before making a decision on a prop you need to be sure your setup is right and your motor is sound.Do a compression check.Let us know if the antivent plate(just above the prop) is about even with the bottom of the boat.Adjust trim for the best speed.In the mean time get your prop repaired at a prop shop.Let us know your compression and how it goes with the repaired prop.rpm and GPS speed if possible.Once we know about setup etc. We can decide on a prop and keep the repaired prop for a spare.

ksucat

Recruit
Re: '92 evinrude 40hp

Thanks for the suggestions. I have had a compression check and had the motor gone through. Everything checked out good including the compression. I will take a look at the antivent plate and see what I can do about a GPS speed and then get back to you. Thanks again.