Still haven't found the right prop

quadridermx

Cadet
Can you guys help me?

Setup is a 1994 Rinker Captiva 19.5 Ft. with the Alpha One 190-200 HP 4.3.

Originally came with a 19 pitch aluminum prop. It topped out at about 47-48 mph with me, another person, and about a half tank of gas. I was happy with the top speed, but wanted a bit quicker holeshot. The aluminum prop ventilated easily in corners. 4800 RPM WOT

I tried a composite 4-blade (supposedly stronger than aluminum?). This took a couple seconds off my planing time, but also 7 mph off my top speed. Not happy with that. 4900 RPM WOT

Now I picked up a Mercury Power2 pitch shift prop. I'm still trying to get it dialed in, but supposedly this came with 21p final pitch blades. Very interesting design. Slow holeshot, but it's adjusted to shift pitch at too low of an RPM. Top speed of 45 mph. It has a final pitch of 21, but yet is 3 mph slower than the aluminum mentioned above. WOT of 4900 RPM. I would think the extra 2 inches of pitch would have lowered the WOT RPM, and added a couple MPH on the top end. Sounds fishy to me...

I would like to just try a standard 3-blade stainless steel to compare. No pitch shifting, just a normal 3-blade. After getting to 48mph with the 19p aluminum, I'd really like to get back to 48-50mph with an SS 3-blade.

What ss 3-blade should I use?? Someone suggested a Bay Pro 2, but from other tests, I really dont think this would be the right prop for me.

Again, what ss 3-blade would you recommend for this setup? It took about 7 seconds to plane with the 19p aluminum. I'm ok with that, but wouldn't an SS prop plane just a tad faster? Is there a good 20p 3-blade SS or highly cupped 19p SS out there that could possibly speed me up a little, take my RPMS down from 4900, and at least keep the same planing speed?

PLEASE help me! I'm at my witt's end here. Too many choices out there. I've been looking at michigan wheel SS props, but they have so many different kinds. What do I need? I think in the end I'm looking for an aggressive 3-blade 19p SS. If I can get a 4-blade SS that would keep me at 45mph, but have a better holeshot, I'd sacrifice 2-3 mph for the holeshot, but not 7.

Thanks!

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Re: Still haven't found the right prop

You may want to try some trim tab's, there really inexpensive and will get you boat out of the whole quite quickly, or a Merc enteria on the high end a 20p ought to get that thing rok'n...:D. The BayPro's will increase your midrange punch but youd almost have to go to a 18 pitch with that much boat, i cant tell you how much better they get out of the hole little if any if remeber right against a 3 blade ss stilletto