Recommendations for 2005 mercury 150 XR6???

05GlastronSX

Chief Petty Officer
With some help, within the next week or two, i will hope to have a prop selected and bought for my 2005 Merc 150 XR6 which is on a 2005 glastron SX 170.

Right now, i am getting approximately 5400-5500 RPM's (merc recommends 5000-5600)at WOT (tachometer) with the trim jacked high at about 55-60 mph(speedometer).

The prop currently on there is the stock aluminum quicksilver blackmax prop which is a 21 pitch and i believe a 13 3/4 diameter. The hole-shot is amazing planing out in less than 4 seconds and top end is very good. The bad is the cavitation and burn out around corners. I am looking for a good all around performance prop that will exhibit all of my current characteristics(or hopefully do them better) without burnouts and gain better handling. I pull a lot of tubers and skiers and i like to go fast also.

Anyways..I was recommended a Mercury Mirage plus from a mercury guy at the boat show. How are these props for my application?

My questions or concerns:

1. How is the mirage plus prop?

2. I know about the venting systems used on some props and i would like to get a prop that has this. I believe it is very benifical but any thoughts would be good...

3. Would staying with a 21 pitch stainless prop effect RPMS that much? I figure id lose about 100-150 rpms at WOT but im not positive. Also, whold a 21 pitch stainless increase my top speed much or effect my hole shot negitively? any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Recommendations for 2005 mercury 150 XR6???

Mirage is a good sterndrive prop, or for back-heavy outboard boats. I think you'd do better with a Laser II on that setup. It's more of an outboard prop. The Mirage would be better for pulling, the Laser would be better for speed. The Laser is ventilated and you can get plugs of varying diameter to fine-tune your holeshot. With a Mirage I'd stay at 21p due to the large blades, but I'd bump up to a 22p Laser. Vents aren't so good for skiing, but tubing shouldn't be a problem. You can get plugs that are completely shut. One trick bass boaters used was to use a prop for a smaller motor. That was before vents. The exhaust would leak between the gearcase bullet and prop hub and let the prop build RPMs quickly until the boat planed, then you can actually feel the prop hook-up. It feels like a 2-speed transmission. That effect would also work on your boat, but would be completely uselss pulling skiers out of the water.