What setup step is next?

patenglish

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1990 15'6" Champion Mean 15 bass boat with a 1989 88 hp Evinrude. The engine is mounted with the prop 5-1/2" below pad which puts the cavitation plate 2-1/2" above pad. I am running 5100 RPM and 39 GPS. Slow hole shot, so I installed a Hydrofoil and it helped. Still need more RPM. Prop is a Raker 13.5 x 19. I have one more hole that I can raise the engine, but I am afraid of water flow. What should my next step be?

Esox

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What setup step is next?

Rakers will run high. If you are concerned about water pressure - which you should be - install a water pressure gauge and then raise it more.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Keep all this in one thread on one forum. It gets too confusing to have two duplicate conversations going.

A 13.5 x 19 isn't a Raker. Rakers are in even numbers. If it's a Raker it'll be 13 1/2 x 18 or 20. If it's a 19 it'll be an SST or SST II and 13 1/4" diameter.

As the moderators to kill one thread or the other and get everything in one place.

patenglish

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks DHadley.
Someone said I might need it on this forum.
How do I ask the moderator to delete this thread?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

You just did. One of them will see this eventually or you can PM them.

I think this is a good spot since we're going to be talking about props and how to set up for one. regardless if it's this prop or another one. You have some good info on the other thread. Maybe it might be helpful to copy that info over to here. Just a thought.

patenglish

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have the pressure gauge ordered and I will have it installed this weekend. Once I establish a pressure at the present location, I will raise the engine to the next hole. I hope I don't end up needing a jack plate because I don't think my cables are long enough. By the way, I posted the wrong size prop. It is a 13.5 x 18 Raker.

patenglish

Petty Officer 3rd Class

DHadley,

I installed the water pressure gauge and trim tabs this weekend. I took the boat out yesterday with a friend and full tank of gas, fishing gear. The hole shot was great. RPM was 5200, speed was 41 GPS, water pressure 20 psi. Do you think I need to have some pitch removed from my prop or change something else to acheive 5500 RPM? Engine is raised to the next to top hole on transom.

Thanks,
PAT

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Raise the motor another hole and test again now that you have the pressure gauge.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Ditto. Don't go West young man, go up!