Why not mix 16P and 18P blades on Piranha prop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I know, a stupid question, but it popped into my head and I started thinking about it. I have a 4-blade piranha with a set of 16P and a set of 18P blades. I figured I'd test them this spring but likely wind up with the 18 for general use but the 16s when we planned water sports for much of the day.

But, as they are replacable individual blades, I just wonder if one can run two 16P opposite each other and do the same with two 18P blades. Seems to me the prop would still be in balance, right? Maybe I'd get a perfect combo of the two, like a 17P (not available).

Just curious as to whetherthis "theory" is reasonable or just stupid.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Why not mix 16P and 18P blades on Piranha prop?

Sure you can, why not?

evin268fs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think the 16 pitch will not be pushing as much water as the 19 pitch prop and may act as a break, putting most the load us place on the 19 P blades during high speed, and during holeshot and slow speeds the 16 will be doing most of the work, forcing the 19 faster.

Interested to know.

MJ76

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I don't think vibration would be the issue. Think of a prop like a screw. The pitch has to be consistent or the prop will be fighting itself going through the water.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

interesting ........ would love to know the end result, try it and let us know .....

Bondo

Staff member

Think of a prop like a screw.

Ayuh,......

A Cross Threaded 1 at that..........

propper_advice

Seaman Apprentice

By putting two 16s and two 18s on, you are going to have issues. The first issue is the diameters are different. The 16 is a half inch larger than the 18. Secondly, the 16 has a totally different blade shape, they have a much greater surface area. The difference in pitch will throw off your RPMs, and give you invalid information for your motor. There will also be some very noticable vibrations, and you will not get the performance you are looking for. It would be counter productive to try this. Try both individually, you can always exchange blades through the factory.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Propper Advice, you seem to have specific info on these Piranhas. Are you associated with the product or involved with props directly? Anyways, thanks for the info, I hadn't sized them up next to each other to check for differences.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

As long as they are the same diameter you should be able to. Race guys do it all the time. Obviously not with that prop but custom made ss 4 blade wheels. Try it and see what happens. You'll know in 50 yards.

GlasstronJim

Seaman

When you sober up, and you still feel you must try this make sure you keep all hands, feet, and inside the ride at all times. Then get back with us in the correct forum (stupid human tricks while boating) oh ya take video so we can put it on u-tube!

Mixr9190

Recruit
I know, a stupid question, but it popped into my head and I started thinking about it. I have a 4-blade piranha with a set of 16P and a set of 18P blades. I figured I'd test them this spring but likely wind up with the 18 for general use but the 16s when we planned water sports for much of the day.

But, as they are replacable individual blades, I just wonder if one can run two 16P opposite each other and do the same with two 18P blades. Seems to me the prop would still be in balance, right? Maybe I'd get a perfect combo of the two, like a 17P (not available).

Just curious as to whetherthis "theory" is reasonable or just stupid.

Not a good idea. Have some 16" blades that have a small notch from manufacturing that has broken on 2 blades at that exact spot. Bought 2 more with same mark on the face of them. I was using the 16" to pull water skiers. I won't use them for hole shots any longer.
the 18" and 20" are great.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Not a good idea. Have some 16" blades that have a small notch from manufacturing that has broken on 2 blades at that exact spot. Bought 2 more with same mark on the face of them. I was using the 16" to pull water skiers. I won't use them for hole shots any longer.
the 18" and 20" are great.

This thread died over 12 years ago.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.