ok now that I've tried 4 alum props

4.3sunbird

Seaman
heres my thinking <br /><br />I have tried hustler 17 and 19 pitch in alum.<br />I have tried my factory omc alum 21 pitch<br />and now have an alum hustler 23 pitch on it <br /><br />I'm now turning around 5200 rpm wot with the 23p<br />speedo said 61 we'll use it just to compare <br /><br />that comes up to 7.5% slip <br /><br /><br />If I go to a stainless which Im thinking a 21 pitch would work the best (IF) the stainless actually has less slip<br /><br />so how would a stainless 21 compare to my alum 23<br /><br />anyone have experience with express series? (turning point props same as my hustlers)<br /><br />do I really need a high $ turbo prop or is there one that would be almost as good for less $<br /><br />thanks guys,<br />RED

ivar

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: ok now that I've tried 4 alum props

7.5% slip sounds very good with an alum. prop on that boat, can you verify your speed with a handheld GPS?

ramster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How can a 4.3 turn a 23 pitch to 5200 rpm? What mods, and how much power are you making? What drive ratio? Can't be a stock motor, my new 5.0 220 H.P. 1.60 ratio, will only turn a 21 four blade AL 4200 rpm, that's in a 195 glastron SX bowrider. I want to try a stainless four blade but I'm afraid it will turn even less rpm's.

TilliamWe

Banned

4.3, if all the info you provide is indeed accurate, and that's a stock 4.3 engine, then you are turning too many rpm. 4800 should be about the top on a 4.3, unless it's brand new & MPI.<br />So, you would need at least a 23 pitch stainless steel prop, not a 21. The rpms would gop even higher with that 21 stainless, compared to the 23 alum you have now.

vettman

Seaman

Ramster, Read my post in Mercruiser and Volvo.Something doesn't make sense.You should be turning more. Almost sounds like it's a 23 pitch. Are you triming her up to get max speed and rpm?VETTMAN

vettman

Seaman

Ramster P.S. I missed the fact that you have a 4 blade. Thats probably right since more blades mean better holeshot and less rpm and top speed. I think .You read what mine is doing. Later VETTMAN

ramster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have tried a 20 pitch Mich. Vortech 4 blade and would rev to nearly 5000 rpm, but only around 52 mph on gps, the Solas 21 only hits 53 @4200rpm on top but has a nice cruise speed of 42 mph at 3200 rpm. I also tried a Mich. Rapture SS 21 3 blade, that was vented so it had a nice holeshot, but topend was really about the same.

4.3sunbird

Seaman

sorry guys <br />I had a couple threads going in another forum <br /><br />its not a stock 4.3<br />it has a 3.0 outdrive behind it which is 1.7 to 1 ratio which the 4.3 drive is 1.68 to 1<br /><br />engine consist of <br />non vortech shortblock (roller cammed)<br />.030 over flattop pistons<br />vortech heads with only bowl blend done and valve spring upgrade<br />cast vortech intake with #3 cylinder runner opened up to match the others (you'll see what I mean if you buy one)<br />eldelbrock roller cam under factory roller lifters<br />rochester q-jet carb<br />electronic delco ignition<br />bottom end is deburred and shot peened for stress relief<br />arp fastners and rotating assembly is balanced<br /><br />main thing Im trying to find out now is how a stainless 21 would compare to my hustler 23<br /><br />Im not concerened if It goes back up a little on rpm long as It stays below 5500 @ wot<br /><br />on the omc alum 21 It was turning 54-5500 rpm at 58 mph by the speedo<br /><br />so if I go stainless 21 would I see the speed of the 23 at around the rpm of the 21 alum prop ?<br /><br />suggestions on which brands also .. I'll get a turbo prop if needed but just wondering if any others would do<br /><br />I have located a hand held gps that I hope to be able to try out sometime this weekend but for now Im just using the speedo readings for comparison purposses<br /><br /> ivar : as far as slip is had to be on a slight chop and trimmed out just right to get that <br /><br />on totally smooth water I still cant get over 58 - 59 mph at the 5200 rpm which puts it back into 11-12% slip<br /><br />at cruize acording to the boat gauges Im seeing 44 mph at 4000 rpm with the 23 which shows about 12% slip<br /><br />dont know if all this sounds right ..Im still new to this boat stuff but Im trying to give all the info I can <br /><br />so how would say a turbo 21 prop compare to my hustler 23 alum as far as holeshot , cruize , and wot <br /><br />I say 21 instead of 23 because I dont really want to lower my wot rpm 5200-5400 wot is just fine with me<br /><br />thanks guys,<br /><br />RED

4.3sunbird

Seaman

btw Im not sure what difference it makes but I've seen on here some mention what kind of water they are running in ..<br />Im running in salt water in the james river not far from the cheasapeake bay

walleyehed

Admiral

For comparison...alum vs. SS;<br />I turn a 19P alum OMC 5200 RPM.<br />I turn a MWC SS 19P 5200, but slightly faster top-end than the 19 alum.<br />I turn a 20P SS Raker 5600 RPM and about 6-7mph faster.<br />I turn a 22P Edge II SS 5600, but about 1mph slower than the Raker...<br />My point here is it's hard to say what it will do when you change blade style, and I would have to say pitch is more important for comparison within one manufacturer, as another brand may have a totally different result.

4.3sunbird

Seaman

how about If I drop the rest and just ask your oppinion on what kind of difference I may see between the omc 14x21 alum and a 13 1/4 x 21 turbo1 prop ?<br /><br />I know theres no way to know for sure but I'd still like to hear what you'd expect just by your knowledge of props <br /><br />anyone know a cheaper place to get a turbo prop besides strait from the manufacture I'd like to know .. redsttype@cox.net <br /><br />I've checked out ebay and theres none on there to fit my needs :( <br /><br />sorry to be a pest ..I just have no idea what to expect

4.3sunbird

Seaman

ok Im gonna pull all my hair out (whats left of it)<br /><br />sure wish turbo had a 22 p <br />with my gear ratio a 21 p will only go 62.7 mph at 100% (5400rpm)<br /><br />guess I'll have to go to a 23p after all to be able to run 60+ with slip involved<br /><br />I have found new turbo props for small hubs for $240 .. think I will be able to beat that ?