Sir Dhadley, my setup results & your opinion

ob15

Chief Petty Officer
Dhadley,<br /><br />1989 Johnson 50 J50TLCEC<br /><br />I finally got around to getting the SS prop rehubbed and setup on my boat. Refer to this post that we chatted a little bit in.<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=28;t=035742#000002 <br /><br />My first test run got me approximately 5650 rpm with the motor trimmed all the way out. I have a TinyTach so I can get a good reading on rpm. The T&T system on my boat only uses 1 tilt cylinder and when titled to high the force of the motor will push it down to the 15 degrees +/-. The T&T was set in the first hole (closest to the transom) when I got the rpm mentioned above. I moved the T&T unit to the second hole and tested it today. I was able to get to 5800 rpm with a gps speed of 40 mph (the speeds in the post above was with a fish finder). I did have to trim the motor out all (or at least most) of the way and luckily had no porpoising. I think it was trimmed out too far once and had some ventilation but seemed fine when it settled back down to the proper trim angle. It takes a little while for the unit to drop down to max trim when trimmed too high. It seems that within the proper trim range I was able to get the 5800. I just wanted to confirm that the setup is ok and I think I finally have it tweaked up to where it should be. I think it’s set right at its limit because is seemed to want to chine walk a little. That sure is a feeling you’ll never forget when it happens the first time. The AV plate is almost 1 1/2” above the keel and don’t think it needs to be raised (but can if needed).<br /><br />Also, I was wondering what type of prop the 19” SS is. The number on the hub is 390852. Have a few pics of it at the links below.<br /><br />Thanks again for all you help. It’ been invaluable<br /><br /> http://bellsouthpwp.net/o/b/ob15/prop/prop1.jpg <br /><br /> http://bellsouthpwp.net/o/b/ob15/prop/prop5.jpg <br /><br /> http://bellsouthpwp.net/o/b/ob15/prop/prop7.jpg <br /><br />If you’re interested to see the boat, here’s a link to the page I created while building it.<br /><br /> http://bellsouthpwp.net/o/b/ob15/index.htm

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sir Dhadley, my setup results & your opinion

Sounds like thats a good set up for that SSTII. The pics are great but I wish we could see the tip of a blade. Thats the critical part. <br /><br />Since you can use all the trim range that probably means you can use more height although there isnt anything wrong with what you have.

ob15

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks, I appreciate all your input. What angle would you like to see the tip (all 3)? a side view like the first pic or straight on like the last 2? I'll take some more tonight. Will try the trim range again next time I'm out & see how much I can actually use. If I can raise the motor, how do you think a std. aluminum prop would hadle that or do I just try it and see. I have 2 other props and would like to keep the height suitable for all 3. One prop is a OEM 11 3/4 X 17 aluminum & the other is a propulse composite (11 1/2 x 12 to 16 adjustable).<br /><br /><br />Thanks again.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

A pic like the last two at the same distance. The center of the prop can be off to one side just so we can see the tip of any one blade.<br /><br />If we're trying to achieve the best height for multiple props, and between aluminum & ss, we may be there now. Its very possible to have 3 different X dimensions for 3 different props. So without a hydraulic jackplate its going to be a comprimise with the most used prop getting preferance.

ob15

Chief Petty Officer

I'll get another pic tonight.<br /><br />That's what my thoughts were about using all three props.<br /><br />Thanks again

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

That's what my thoughts were about using all three props.<br />
What thought was that? Getting a hydraulic jackplate? Now we're talking!!

ob15

Chief Petty Officer

Jackplate...I wish. Thought's were about leaving motor where it is. Maybe someday I'll get a jackplate. I don't need any more holes in my transom.<br /><br />I'll have the pics of the prop tip tomorrow.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

More holes? Nope! They use the existing ones. Ya gotta come up with a better excuse than that! <br /><br />Just kidding! Seriously though we might try raising the motor 1 hole and try all 3 props. I think I'd try it just to see but that's just me. I'd just have to know.

ob15

Chief Petty Officer

I will have to drill new holes for the bottom bolts. Never thought I'd be raising the motor this much. No big deal. Already have 2 old holes plugged down there. Must remember, it's a homebuilt boat and I wasn't as educated about motor height when I originally installed the motor and have raised it twice since.<br /><br />Anyway, I might try raising it up sometime. I'm just getting it back up and running after blowing up my old motor, getting this one and fixing a few problems & then having to fix up the house after the storms last year (it's a pain in the butt putting a new roof on by yourself). I really don't feel like fooling around with it any more right now. I think I'm going to repaint the motor over the winter so will propably do it then. Maybe I'll get a jack plate. Would be wise to install a pressure gauge then.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I see what you mean with the holes. Now, heres a thought -- jet a jackplate and drill it to match. Then you dont have to fill and drill the transom. (See, we're gonna talk you into this yet)<br /><br />See how the cup ends suddenly out on the tip? its actually a bit farther out than I thought it might be. But that explains the good bite you have. The next time you look at a Stiletto or Turbo look how far the cup goes. And it looks like it will end but if you feel the prop youll see it goes even a bit further. <br /><br />BTW -- it looks like the speedo pick up is pretty close to being directly in front of the motor. That may cause some disturbed water (for the prop & water intake) as you go up. We generally like to have a good clean 10" or so on each side of center.

ob15

Chief Petty Officer

The pickup for the speedo is tilted up and hasn't been used for quite a while (I use my fish finder). The first time I raised the motor I fugured that out real quick.<br /><br />Redrilling the transom in not a big deal, I'm getting used to it.<br /><br />Guess we'll see what happens when I repaint the motor. I will more than likey get a manual jack plate just to have the minimum setback. What's the general rule for raising the motor and rear offset?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The general rule for offset is for every 5" you go back you can go up 1". Obviously that changes as transom angles changes.<br /><br />Bobs Machine has a fantastic manual plate. It converts to all kinds of options. I believe they sell them here. And its very easy to adjust quickly.

ob15

Chief Petty Officer

Cool. If I mount a plate right where the motor is now that would be a good place to start, 4" of lift should be way more than plenty. Definitely don't need to lower it. I know that where the motor is mounted now is good for my other 2 props. Need to see how much I can raise the motor with the SS prop. I'd love to be able to get at least another 100 rpm with the SS prop. Would barely ever have to use the other props.<br /><br />Is that STII prop a good one comapred to what's out there now? Just curoius.<br /><br />The convertable jack plates looks pretty cool. Lots of options.<br /><br />Just a few posts ago, I didn't even want to talk about a jack plate, now listen to me.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Lol!! See? Told ya we'd get you talked into one.<br /><br />The set back will change things a little as far as the water too. The water coming off the hull is usually fairly "disturbed". In theory, the farther back you go the more "settled" or "solid" the water will be. Therefore giving your prop a better bite.<br /><br />When you order the plate (see how we went from "if" to when") it might not hurt to order the bolt kit. Saves a bunch of time later.<br /><br />Then, (gotta love it) you also have the option of adding the 2" spacers. Your set back can go from about 2.5" to 5" to 7". Think of all the testing you can do!<br /><br />Honestly the SSTII is a pretty good prop but there are better ones. The Raker is better and the Stiletto is as good as, if not slightly better than, a Raker. A Turbo is better yet. <br /><br />I have a 4 blade Mazco we ran on the V4 on the little Allison. Its scary good. Seriously.<br /><br />Props are one area that you really do get what you pay for.

ob15

Chief Petty Officer

You definitely have my curiosity going crazy right now. By the time we lay this post to rest, I my need to be working a lot more overtime or get a second job and have a boat that will be way too fast. :D :D :D <br /><br />For the cash I would spend on one if these props, is it actually worth it compared to what I have now. Would think the gain wouldn't be all that much. But if was still using aluminum, you bet it would make a difference. Or maybe I should be asking what the advantage of each prop is? I’m sure they all offer something a little different.<br /><br />Now on to the 4 blade issue. The propulse adjustable prop I have is a 4 blade. That thing hooks up like crazy. It does however reduce rpm and speed. How about the good SS 4 blades? Same thing or just as good top end? I know you can raise them up higher.<br /><br />Plus, does this matter in regards to boat size? Mine is pretty small so I'm thinking the advantages are less apparent. I basically use my boat for fishing and cruising around. Obviously I would like to tweak the performance or I wouldn’t be here. But on the same token, I don’t need to turn it into a racing machine (but that probably would be fun). I think the 40 mph barrier I broke last weekend is pretty good.<br /><br />Thanks again & I hope others are reading this to gain as much info as I have.