dinged up prop

Todd Humphreys

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My 75hp johnny has an OMC 13X19 with a handful of dings and imperfection on the front edge of the blade. Over the years of hitting oysters, tilling the bank, logs, etc. I would take the prop off and file down the damage. How crucial is it have your prop in good order (taking it to the prop shop once a year) vs running it the way it is although some performance is sacrificed. I only use the boat for fishing and speed is not an issue.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: dinged up prop

It needs to be balanced or you can get premature prop shaft seal failure. Water gets into the lower unit and makes trouble. <br /><br />So be careful about just filing down the rough edges. I was able to determine how out of shape a used prop I have was by picking the best blade on the prop and tracing it on cardboard. Then cut the shape out and compare it to the others. It showed me that two blades were really quite a bit smaller and the prop was really out of balance. I bought a new prop.<br /><br />At any rate, doing this gives a good idea of its condition. At least you will be better informed to make a decision on if you want to buy a new one or if this one is fixable.

timmathis

Lieutenant

Need to send it to a prop shop it will be worth it in the long run.

Todd Humphreys

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm looking at about $120 to get it repaired at the local shop. Do I buy a new SS Express (same dia & pitch) here from iboats for $70 more and use the old one for a spare or fix the one I have on the motor? :(